I saw several blogs today taking part in this challenge and thought it looked fun. Last month I was in a reading slump and I wrote some about it. Since then I got over it, but this seems like a fun challenge to help even more!
Thanks to GoodBooksAndGoodWine.com for hosting this challenge.
Day 8: Quick! Write 15 bullet points of things that appeal to you on blogs!
- CLEANLINESS! Nice clean design. I don’t want to see a lot of noise and flashy stuff. I am there to read articles, not be impressed you know what a animated gif is.
- SEARCH! Easy to find what I am looking for either with a search, organization, etc.
- MORE THAN JUST A REVIEW – More than just reviews of books. I want to see what you think of books in general or current events.
- GIVEAWAYS EASY TO FIND – Ok, I don’t always go for giveaways, but I know that is what a lot of my own readers want. So have them easily available at the beginning of the blog or sidebar.
- PERSONALITY – I love getting know the people behind the posts. No I don’t want to know every little detail of your personal lives, but I do want to get to know you as a reader, blogger and possibly someone I can have a conversation with someday. I like knowing if you are Disney fanatic as well as a reader. Do you scrapbook? Did a book touch you because it hit on something in your life? Seeing a little about a person makes the experience a little more personal and inviting.
- NO CAPTCHA! Seriously, find a better way to prevent spam.
- COMMENTS! I know they are hard to get, but I love seeing blog authors comment on their readers comments. I know this is very hard to keep up with. I try to set aside time to do it about every other day, but sometimes it just isn’t that easy. But when I do, I hope people appreciate it and come back to comment again.
- HONESTY – Being honest in your reviews. Let’s face it…you aren’t going to love each book you read. You may just not like it because it is not your cup of tea, or you may just absolutely hate it. Be honest but respectful. I want to know why you didn’t like it because I might actually love that part.
- LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING – I am guilty of not being at my best each and every day. I get that and usually don’t hold it against a person, but if all you do is bitch and whine with nothing positive, I move on. Wake up each day and think that this is a new start…smile!
- IT’S NOT A RACE! I have a hard time with this one and realized I don’t need to read 275 books to prove anything to anyone. So I recently decided to slow down and read instead of feeling like a reading machine just to get a goal on how many books I read. I want quality … not quantity.
- MARCHING TO THE BEAT OF YOUR OWN DRUM – You don’t follow the status quo. You are unique because you do what you want to do. It’s your blog after all, not anyone else’s. I find myself sometimes fighting this one as well.
- CONSISTENCY – If you haven’t written a blog post in a month, I will think you gave up and so will I.
- SOCIAL MEDIA! I want to follow you if I dig your blog, so make it easy for me to find you.
- MEMES – a balance of interesting stuff along with reviews and author visits.
- AUTHOR VISITS – I know how hard it is to approach an author. I am such an introvert, but I love reading their thoughts on things or why they wrote a book. If I am on the line of buying their book, seeing them out there will make me more likely to buy.
What do you look for in a blog? Specifically is there anything you would like to see more here or even less?
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review Reboot: Loving Him Off the Field by Jeanette Murray - November 22, 2019
- I Dare You: Unconventional Romance Advice to the Non-Athlete Heroine - November 21, 2019
- Review: Puck Me, Baby by Lili Valente - November 21, 2019
- Afternoon Delight Reboot: Holiday On Ice by Jaci Burton - November 20, 2019
- I Dare You: Fall Sports Romance - November 20, 2019