Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
January was such a busy month for me. It kicks off so much in my kids lives! Dance competition season begins in gusto with our first competition on Valentine’s Day weekend. Throw in Destination Imagination meetings with their first competition in March. Not to be undone, but there are several dance classes to throw in on top of all this. Needless to say, I find it hard to cook supper and blog and read at the same time, but I love every minute of it.
Ok, I am not a big coffee drinker…in fact I don’t really drink “coffee” unless you put so much other stuff in to take out the flavor of coffee. But I am addicted to Gevalia Mocha Latte Espresso Coffee Cups. It has a frothing powder you put in the bottom of your mug. Then pop the kcup into the machine and it brews coffee. They say to use the smallest setting for stronger flavor, but I always brew it at the largest size to water it down. I then use mocha creamer to make it taste less like coffee. Sometimes I also add cayenne pepper (not too much) for just a little tingle to the tongue. That’s been my go to morning drink for about a year. What’s yours?
Reading, oh reading. Worked hard on my challenges this month!
I have read 11 books towards my yearly 2015 challenge. That puts me slightly behind really where I want to be. With February being a short month, I have a feeling I will be falling behind once again. But never fear. Awareness of the issue is half the solution.
Invalid challenge name.Not off to a great start, but I am reading one for this as we write.
Invalid challenge name.Off to a great start! I am enjoying finding music to match my feelings with the songs.
Invalid challenge name.Already I have had to increase my challenge numbers. Just so many things to find.
Invalid challenge name.Another challenge that I had to raise the bar on. I really thought I would struggle.
Invalid challenge name.Off to a good start, but I have ventured out to other genre’s to cleanse my palate.
Invalid challenge name.Pretty easy challenge. I might have to up the anty.
Invalid challenge name.A little behind on where I should be, but I will get back on the bandwagon fast.
Invalid challenge name.Determined to keep up with writing reviews as I read the books and getting over 150 reviews for 2015.
Sophia Rose’s Update
Seriously? Didn’t we just watch the ball drop in Time’s Square and make New Year’s Resolutions? Just wow! And brrrr! Someone close the freezer door, please. But who am I to gripe, I got a few extra days of reading out of the extreme temps and weather. Speaking of extra reading, I got off to a blazing start with my reading for the month.
Total: 46 books
Breakdown: 15 Netgalleys bringing me up to 85% (still a bit to go toward my resolution goal), 11 author/publisher requests, 10 gifts/won
Things I Have Noticed:
- I tend to read a lot more in January than any other month
- ARe’s Review Challenge/Giveaway is great incentive to make me read all the books I buy and let sit forever
- Some books are better read than listened to when dealing with the audio v. visual reading/listening thing (angst, sex, and violence comes through loud and clear shall we say)
- I still struggle saying no to review requests, but I said no more often than not
- Ditto on the DNF books which I have just decided to call my ‘wait until I’m in the mood- maybe later’ stack
Austenesque Lovers TBR: 5/20
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers: 44/50
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 15/10 Moving to next level 😉
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s New to Me: 26/100
Delighted Reader’s Series: 0/10
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR: 28/75
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Historical Romance: 15/60
Under the Cover’s Romance Roundabout: 4/12 Categories (42 books)
Brazen Babe’s Interracial/Multiracial: 7/36
The Book Nympho & Hot Listen’s Audio Book: 3/10
Passages to the Past’s Historical Fiction: 7/10
Fangs, Wands & Fairy Dust’s Cliché Klatch: 3/50
Nelle’s Nightstand’s Curvy Girls: 0/10 Not starting yet
You Really Got Me by Erika Kelly- CR Puts the rock back into Rocker Romance
Whiskey Tango Fox Trot by Heather Long CR touching stateside military romance
The Trouble With Texas Cowboys by Carolyn Brown CR- Down home humor at its best
Claimed by the Enemy by Shauna Roberts HR unique historical romance/ fab plot
Shattered Hearts series by Cecy Robson new addition to fav NA romance author/series
All Lessons Learned by Charlie Cochrane M/M HR made me bawl my eyes out
To Be or Not to Be…Read:
Your choice for January was Alex by Sawyer Bennett and you were spot on with that fantastic New Adult Sports Romance. My heart was captured by this pair of lovers and showed me a new NA Romance author to keep an eye on.
And the winner for February is…Grace Burrowes’ A Single Kiss
January 2015 Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about in the month of January.
- [2 Jan] An Oath Taken by Diana Cosby ★★★★
- [2 Jan] Bonfire Night by Deanna Raybourn ★★★★
- [3 Jan] Coming Home by Lydia Michaels ★★★½
- [4 Jan] The Madness of Mr. Darcy by Alexa Adams ★★★★½
- [5 Jan] My Cowboy Homecoming by ZA Maxfield ★★★★½
- [5 Jan] Ours to Love by Shayla Black ★★★½
- [6 Jan] Nothing Between Us by Roni Loren ★★★★½
- [6 Jan] Nothing Between Us by Roni Loren ★★★★½
- [6 Jan] Wolf’s Capture by Eve Langlais ★★★★
- [7 Jan] Born in Blood by Alexandra Ivy ★★★½
- [7 Jan] Marked by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★½
- [8 Jan] Hungry Like the Wolf by Paige Tyler ★★★★
- [9 Jan] The Devil in Denim by Melanie Scott ★★★
- [10 Jan] Wolf’s Fall by J.D. Tyler ★★★★
- [11 Jan] Sparks by Ashley C. Harris ★★★★½
- [12 Jan] Edge by Tiffinie Helmer ★★★★
- [13 Jan] Reasonable Doubts by Cara Bristol ★★★½
- [13 Jan] You Really Got Me by Erika Kelly ★★★★½
- [14 Jan] Her Master's Teacher by Lily White ★★½
- [14 Jan] Wystan by Allison Merritt ★★★½
- [15 Jan] The Trouble With Texas Cowboys by Carolyn Brown ★★★★
- [16 Jan] A Demon and His Witch by Eve Langlais ★★★★½
- [17 Jan] Broken Skies by Theresa Kay ★★★★
- [18 Jan] Pride, Prejudice, and Secrets by C.P. Odom ★★★★
- [19 Jan] Once Perfect by Cecy Robson ★★★★½
- [20 Jan] Claimed by the Enemy by Shauna Roberts ★★★★★
- [20 Jan] Cowboys for Christmas by Jan Springer ★★
- [21 Jan] The Earl I Adore by Erin Knightley ★★★★½
- [21 Jan] Under His Touch by Jeffe Kennedy ★★★★½
- [22 Jan] Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress by Theresa Romain ★★★
- [23 Jan] The Importance of Being Alice by Katie MacAlister
- [24 Jan] The Millionaire Rogue by Jessica Peterson ★★★½
- [24 Jan] Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by Heather Long ★★★★
- [25 Jan] The Fine Art of Pretending by Rachel Harris
- [26 Jan] Alex by by Sawyer Bennett ★★★★½
- [27 Jan] Cursed to Kill by Claire Ashgrove ★★★
- [28 Jan] White Knight by Kelly Meade ★★★★
- [28 Jan] Fanning the Flames by Victoria Dahl ★★★★
- [29 Jan] Road to Desire by Piper Davenport ★★★★
- [30 Jan] Once Loved by Cecy Robson ★★★★½
- [31 Jan] The Last Cowboy in Texas by Katie Lane ★★★★
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review Reboot: Loving Him Off the Field by Jeanette Murray - November 22, 2019
- I Dare You: Unconventional Romance Advice to the Non-Athlete Heroine - November 21, 2019
- Review: Puck Me, Baby by Lili Valente - November 21, 2019
- Afternoon Delight Reboot: Holiday On Ice by Jaci Burton - November 20, 2019
- I Dare You: Fall Sports Romance - November 20, 2019