Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
January brought winter on with a bang. Within two weeks we have used 4 of the 5 snow days they built into the schedule. December was a warm month so this is a shock to the system. My thoughts are with all the East Coasters who got more snow that should ever fall. We dodged a bullet when it didn’t come far enough north in Indiana to hit us.
I spent a lot of time gearing up for The Great Pick Up Line and it cut into my reading and writing review time. Now that a lot is done and I can just enjoy the event, I will be reading and writing some more reviews. I am on target so far with most of my challenges.
Bad Boys of Romance Challenge: 10/35
Looking forward to reading more Bad Boy stories.
The Series That Never Ends Challenge: 1/12
It’s a new year…and I haven’t started this one yet.
Books 'N Tunes Challenge: 13/30
Getting my jams on!
Literary Pickers Challenge: 14/35
Finding unique items isn’t always so easy.
Invalid challenge name.
Love finding new authors and series!
Invalid challenge name.
Haven’t hit the hard pervy stuff yet….but it will come…get it! Ha ha!
Review Writing Challenge: 16/100
A good start, but I am going to ramp this up in February.
Sophia Rose’s Update
January has been parts typical cold freezery stuff and also surprisingly mild at times. But naturally, the day I decided to go out on a little unique adventure that I want to share with you all, it was below zero windchill and icy. Brrr.
So this adventure…
As many of you know, I was blessed to have a short story I wrote back in the summer accepted for an anthology that was released in December. One of the authors, Natalie Richards thought it would be fun for the book to go on a Road Trip. Hence, Then Comes Winter, was sent out on a Road Trip ala Flat Stanley to visit with each contributing author (there are 11 of us) and our editor. With each stop, TCW was to be signed and paraded about with us and a souvenir tucked in before sent off to the next stop along the road. I excitedly pondered what TCW and I would do for my stop on the Road Trip tour.
Well best laid plans and all that. I had planned to take TCW up to Detroit and hang around for pictures there. But I caught an infection right after the New Year and it stayed with me a while. My balance was still off from the ear infection and still had the cough and headache, but then we got hit with ice and it wasn’t real safe to be out toodling around.
So, I made the decision to stick around home and snag some pictures without the cool Detroit icons. TCW and I stood with General George Armstrong Custer’s statue in Downtown Monroe, Custer’s home town (you remember, the guy who made his last stand at Little Big Horn when he underestimated the Sioux?) and I almost fell on my keister a few times so I nixed a few other choices like the cool shot of the historic part of Monroe from the walking bridge over River Raisin and headed to the safety of the 1812 River Raisin Battlefield nearby to stand with the sign. People of course paused to stare from both the street and the parking lots downtown because I looked silly holding up this book, losing my balance and sliding around as I tried to take my pictures. I’ve included a couple of my pictures from this.
Back home, TCW and I bundled up before the fire with a hot cocoa and a big smile. I had never done anything like that and even though I was miserable from not feeling well, it was deemed fun.
So, that’s not all. There is a giveaway for the copy of Then Comes Winter and all the ‘souvenirs’ that each author has tucked in with the book. Here’s the link if you are interested: https://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/fe4b73486/?
It is roving through three countries (in North Carolina at the moment, I believe).
And now back to my regularly scheduled report…
My reading this month was an interesting thing. I had both a slump and I also went on a holy terror. Very weird. So I totaled: 38 books.
Breakdown: 14 author/publisher request, 15 Net Galley (90%), 18 TBR Pile, 4 DNF, 3 audio, 18 New to Me authors, 19 new series
Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile: 4/21 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 7/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Series: 1/5 books
Addicted to Romance’s Oldies But Goodies: 2/10 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers: 35/99 books
My Reader’s Block’s Mt TBR: 24/75 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s New to Me: 19/75 books
Hot Listens and the Book Nympho’s Audio: 3/20 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blogger Shame: 6/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Bad Boys: 6/15 books
Under the Cover’s Romance Roundabout: 3/12 categories
Brazen Babes’ Diversity: 8 books
To Be or Not to be…Read Update
As many of you know, last month I challenged myself to TWO at a time for that vote. Have to say that I rose to the challenge and finished them both. Not sure if I’ll do that very often, but it was a good pair of reads.
This year I will continue with this post that is truly a huginormous aid to me getting to older books on my pile. But it is only possible because of you. Thank you all for voting and helping me chip away at my TBR pile. Looking forward to what you pick for me next.
Books That Stood Out:
The Big Girl’s Guide to Buying Lingerie by Amie Stuart, CR, blended tough elements & humor
Trust the Focus by Megan Erickson- NA-M/M- CR, debut author, road trip, coming out, emotional
Bully by Penelope Douglas, NA-CR, heartbreaking, tough subject, hope & healing
The Duke’s Disaster by Grace Burrowes, HR, engaging & authentic marriage of convenience trope
Renegade by Lisa Bingham, CR, heartwarming gentle romance, family, small town
Love Spell by Mia Kerrick, YA-M/M-CR, delightful character, deft handling of teen questioning sexuality
January 2016 Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about in the month of January.
- [1 Jan] Target Engaged by M.L. Buchman ★★★★½
- [2 Jan] Shock & Awe by Abigail Roux ★★★★½
- [2 Jan] Cross & Crown by Abigail Roux ★★★★
- [3 Jan] Oblivion by Jennifer Armentrout ★★★★
- [4 Jan] Ready to Fall by Daisy Prescott ★★★★
- [4 Jan] Taking What's Naughty by Alexa Riley ★★½
- [5 Jan] What You Need by Lorelei James ★★★★½
- [6 Jan] My First, My Last by Lacey Silks ★★★
- [7 Jan] Under the Spotlight by Kate Willoughby ★★★½
- [8 Jan] The Viscount Risks It All by Erin Knightley ★★★★
- [8 Jan] Off the Clock by Roni Loren ★★★★½
- [9 Jan] Unlawful Seizure by Baylee Rose ★★★
- [9 Jan] Wildest Dreams by Rosanne Bittner ★★★★½
- [9 Jan] SHTF: NOLA Zombie by Gillian Zane ★★★★
- [10 Jan] Illuminae by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff ★★★★★
- [11 Jan] Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon ★★★★★
- [12 Jan] Sway by Melanie Stanford ★★★★½
- [13 Jan] Part & Parcel by Abigail Roux ★★★★½
- [14 Jan] The Elf King’s Lady by Bernadette Rowley
- [14 Jan] The Heat is On by Katie Rose ★★★★
- [15 Jan] New Leaf by Catherine Anderson
- [15 Jan] The Dirt on Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones ★★★★½
- [16 Jan] Of Flame and Promise by Cecy Robson ★★★★
- [17 Jan] Bully by Penelope Douglas ★★★★★
- [18 Jan] Villa Fortuna by Cat Gardiner ★★★★★
- [18 Jan] Brooklyn On Fire by Lawrence H. Levy ★★★½
- [19 Jan] My Reckless Valentine by Olivia Dade ★★★★★
- [20 Jan] Cut & Run #6-#9 by Abigail Roux ★★★★★
- [20 Jan] Wickedly Ever After by Deborah Blake ★★★★
- [21 Jan] Rebel Cowboy by Nicole Helm
- [21 Jan] Where Nerves End by L.A. Witt ★★★★
- [22 Jan] Forever His Texas Bride by Linda Broday ★★★★
- [23 Jan] Romancing the Running Back by Jeanette Murray ★★★½
- [24 Jan] Legend of the Oceina Dragon by J. F. Jenkins ★★★½
- [24 Jan] Meet Your Match by Lindzee Armstrong ★★★★
- [25 Jan] Bound to Darkness by Lara Adrian ★★★★
- [26 Jan] Mercury Striking by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★½
- [26 Jan] Mated With the Cyborg by Cara Bristol ★★★★
- [27 Jan] Once Upon a True Love’s Kiss by Alanna Lucas, Collette Cameron, Jillian Chantal, Julie Johnston, Katherine Bone, Lauren Smith, Samantha Grace, Victoria Vane ★★★★
- [27 Jan] Tempted by a Rogue by Lauren Smith ★★★½
- [27 Jan] The Redemption of Julian Price by Victoria Vane ★★★★★
- [28 Jan] The Duke’s Disaster by Grace Burrowes ★★★★
- [29 Jan] Until You by Penelope Douglas ★★★★½
- [30 Jan] Renegade by Lisa Bingham ★★★★
- [31 Jan] Love Spell by Mia Kerick ★★★★½