Genres: Contemporary Romance, M/M Romance
Published by Indie/Self Published
Released on August 17, 2015
Source: Free Book
Sadly, this has been setting on my shelf forever. The blurb caught my attention and I wanted to try a new to me author and series especially when the first couple involved a firefighter hero who was hurt in 9/11. And, yep, the cover grabbed me. So cute and so perfect for the story.
Beyond the Surface is a second chance romance. They were teen sweethearts until Nick pushed Julian away. Nick was afraid and insisted he wanted ‘normal’ let it destroy what they had. Eighteen years later, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge.
At it’s heart, this is a story about a guy figuring out who he is and what he wants and being honest about it while another guy has to decide if he can reach out and trust again. There was more to it than that. Coming out for Nick was a slow and painful work in progress mixed with his survivor’s guilt, real scars, and struggles with PTSD from his experiences on 9/11. Julian is also at a crossroads because he wants something more after getting poor reviews for his design after a competitor stole his designs and beat him to the runway.
There are bitter and painful moments, heartwarming times, and caliente sexy going on. I enjoyed this first story and meeting the Breakfast Club members who have been best friends and are not nearly brothers. I can’t wait to get Marcus and Zach’s stories now.
Romance Roundabout #162 LGBT
Mt. TBR #61
Let’s Read Indie #60
Latest posts by Sophia Rose (see all)
- Review: Forgotten Sea by Virginia Kantra - December 7, 2019
- Review: Royal Holiday by Jasmine Guillory - December 6, 2019
- Review: Longing For a Cowboy Christmas by Leigh Greenwood, Rosanne Bittner, Linda Broday, Margaret Brownley, Anna Schmidt, Amy Sandas - December 5, 2019
- Review: A Cowboy Like You by Donna Grant - December 4, 2019
- Review: Would Like to Meet by Rachel Winters - December 3, 2019