This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Published by Small Publisher
Source: Free Book
This story had so much potential, but then it failed to reach that potential with a rushed plot, plot twists that seem off and an abrupt ending with no resolution. The idea was a cute one, but the heroine came off way to innocent. The hero is way to convincing. And pretty much it ended up sucking donkey balls.
Ok, I was a little harsh in my delight part, but I really wanted to like this book! Cassie is an accountant totally bored with her deadend job. To keep the boredom at bay, she starts writing romance when her work is done for the day. She is an Indie author with several books under her belt and she tries to come across that she has had a lot of success and is a savvy writer as well as business woman. It didn’t really come across well to be truthful.
When renovations to the executive floor push the CEO Carter Harris to move offices, he tries hard not to remember how taken in he is with Cassie since they first met. Now the clumsy, shy Cassie can’t stop staring at him, but knows it won’t go anywhere, or Carter’s part, he met her when his company hired her and even had her background checked out. He comes across as a cold, calculating asshole.
When Cassie mistakenly switches folder with Carter in the break room, she is quickly mortified trying to figure out how to get it back, but also not wanting him to know she writes romance books…especially on company time. Avoiding him seems to be the better option, but that’s not going to happen.
Carter realizes the mistake quickly while he is at home. Intrigued he starts reading and then editing the story. He thinks up a scheme to be her friend while advising her on her book. Big problem? It is a BDSM romance that neither of them have experience with even if the author of this book thinks Carter does.
So Carter starts mentoring Callie and it jumps right into the deep end fast. So fast as Cassie is a virgin who has no actual experience in anything.
So the problems….
- Carter really has no experience in BDSM. He offers and then performs a spanking to Cassie which seemed more awkward than realistic. That is the extent of the BDSM in the book.
- Cassie gives Carter a blow job in the office and suddenly she is a master at it even without any experience.
- Carter has “issues” … don’t all men it seems. He goes from being a bastard to suddenly a stalker with Cassie. He doesn’t want a relationship, but quickly falls into jealousy and finding ways to trap her to him.
- Cassie is way in over her head. I think you can write what you don’t know, but Cassie really pushes the envelope with this one. How she could be such a successful independent writer so fast is a little inconceivable.
- Cassie hides her side job from everyone. Family, friends and co-workers. Nobody knows her secret life.
- The ending…I won’t spoil it other than it is very abrupt and leaves a lot of the story hanging. No closure is more how I felt.
- Finally, this needed an editor. Misspellings, grammar issues and just a wrong tone to the story. And even the title on my Kindle has the wrong capitalization. It was a great idea that went wrong.
While I liked the idea of the story, the execution of it was like waiting a car wreck happen. It moved to fast and just became a mangled mess. Yes, it’s sexy. Yes, I wanted to read more. Unfortunately the story ends abruptly. I seriously thought my book was missing a chapter or two. No resolution, no ending. Just bang! Done!
This is the start of a series of books, but I am stopping here. I really wanted to love this story, but it felt like the plot wasn’t worked out and the author was writing their first story without an editor. Potential lost….
Review Writing Challenge #27
Literary Pickers #25 – Office Romance
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- I Dare You: Rules of Engagement with Paranormal Creatures - June 26, 2019
- Review: I Will Not Beg by Cherise Sinclair - June 25, 2019
- I Dare You: Shifted Sister - June 25, 2019
- Audiobook Review: Consumed by J.R. Ward - June 21, 2019
- Pre-order – A little chic fic to spice up my summer! - June 14, 2019