Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
April is the middle of the birthday marathon in my family. It seems we all like being born in the spring time. Mom’s birthday was two days ago, my brother next week, mine, my son’s, a niece and so on it goes. Throw in there Mother’s Day and the final run on dance competitions.
Also, it’s that time of year to get stuff done on the house. It’s hitting that 12 year mark and things are breaking down like crazy. Unfortunately we have one project that might break the bank this year. So I won’t be buying too many books and knuckling down to read the ones I have.
I have a child who struggles to read. I also struggled to read. She is hitting the age where I figured out how good reading is, but she isn’t convinced. So they are reading a book out loud at school and besides reading problems, she is absolutely not an audible learner. To help, I ordered the book, Freak the Mighty, and read it this weekend so I could discuss it with her. Boy I needed this book to wash my palette. Pretty good book even if it isn’t a genre I normally read.
Blog Ahead starts tomorrow – the mini version. I hope to be writing a lot of posts got get ready for the summer. Join the fun a Herding Cats and Burning Soup.
- Read: 12
- Reviewed: 9 reviews
- Rocked by Cari Quinn and Taryn Elliot – I got this one free from the ARe Earth Day celebration. It surprised me as being pretty good. See I get a lot of free books on ARe and most are crap. This one surprised me so much I bought book #2 right afterwards. The rock star who wants forever and a roadie chef trying to stay out of the lime light. It was sexy, passionate, heart-warming and devastating all in one book. It’s a long one clocking in over 500 pages.
- Reading Statistics: 4 TBR, 4 from NetGalley or Publisher, 1 DNF, 3 Free book
- NetGalley percentage at 86% – up from last month as I get my reviews written!
Bad Boys of Romance Challenge: 10/35
The Series That Never Ends Challenge: 1/12
Books 'N Tunes Challenge: 13/30
Literary Pickers Challenge: 14/35
Invalid challenge name.
Invalid challenge name.
Review Writing Challenge: 18/100
Sophia Rose’s Update
Hidey Ho, Everyone!
April has been a busy month with two family birthday parties, a wedding, yardwork and cleaning out the garage, two fix-it projects, and the usual. Whew! Lots getting done and it feels good to have had a whole week without snow or sleet. But it is Michigan so I’ll keep the winter wear close by just for a few more weeks.
Latest Addiction- ‘Haven’, a SyFy Channel Series involving mystery, intrigue, romance, and magic all in small town Maine. Yes, I’m late to the party, but it caught my eye and here I am eager to squeeze one or two episodes in where I can. Anyone else have a newer TV show addiction?
Oh, and guess what? Would you believe I have been an associate reviewer on the blog for four years as of this month? *whistles appreciatively* My first post for Shari’s blog was a review of The Rancher and the Rock Star by Liz Selvig. I remember agonizing over that review because I wanted to get it just right. Shari was so very patient with my ignorance and it was a rush to see it as a live post. Do you remember your first review that posted on a blog or maybe up at Amazon or GoodReads?
I’m entering another month long challenge hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer and co-hosted by Kristin @ Addicted to Happily Ever After. The Clean Sweep ARC Challenge. This one grooves neatly with a few other goals and challenges I have for the year and I’m hoping it will light a fire under my feet when it comes to knocking out many books on my review stack.
My goal is 16 review books. Wish me luck and let me know if you’re doing it, too!
Alright, so on to books. I’m turning this in about a week earlier than usual so this will be missing some numbers that will be included with next month. My reading total was: 28
Reading Break Down: 2 library books, 6 my shelf, 13 Net Galley (92%), 13 author/publisher requests, 1 DNF, 4 audio, 9 new series, 6 end of series, 11 new to me authors
Austenesque Lovers’ – 17/21 books
Delighted Readers’ Books N Tunes- 18/50 books
Delighted Readers’ Series- 4/5 books
Herding Cats Burning Soups’ Read All the Books- New Challenge add- GOAL is all unread Nalini Singh books
Addicted to Romances’ Oldies But Goodies- 10/10 COMPLETE and Moving to Level 2
Delighted Readers’ Literary Pickers- 97/99 books
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR- 66/75 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s New to Me – 62/75 books
Hot Listens and The Book Nympho’s Audio – 19/20 books
Herding Cats Burning Soups’ Blogger Shame- 17/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Bad Boys – 20 books COMPLETE
Under the Covers’ Romance Roundabout – 10/12 categories
Brazen Babes’ Diversity – 29/50 books Moved to Level C
Books That Stood Out:
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, CR, for sheer magic in the prose
The Beast by JR Ward, PNR, infused with fresh plot and a BDB lover’s dream book
Pulling Leather by LC Chase, M/M CR, for making me love a villain
Steel & Stone series by Annette Marie, YA UF, for fantastic worldbuilding, new to me author
Where There’s a Will by Cari Z, M/M Sci-Fi Rom, for making me want a series to never end.
Let Me by Cecy Robson, CR, Oh the feels!
So, you all have a great May and start gearing up for warm weather activities and summer reads. Let me know if you have any summer read suggestions.
April 2016 Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about in the month of April.
- [1 Apr] Once Upon a True Love’s Kiss by Collette Cameron, Jillian Chantal, Julie Johnstone, Katherine Bone, Lauren Smith, Samantha Grace, Victoria Vane ★★★★
- [2 Apr] Part & Parcel by Abigail Roux ★★★★
- [3 Apr] When Falcons Fall by C.S. Harris ★★★★½
- [4 Apr] The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman ★★★★½
- [4 Apr] Captured by the Cyborg by Cara Bristol ★★★★
- [5 Apr] Hold Your Breath by Katie Ruggle ★★★★
- [5 Apr] The Beast by J.R. Ward ★★★★½
- [5 Apr] This One Moment by Stina Lindenblatt ★★★
- [6 Apr] Blazing Earth by Terri Brisbin ★★★★½
- [7 Apr] Guardian of Paradise by W.E. Lawrence ★★★½
- [7 Apr] Take Me Home Tonight by Erika Kelly ★★★★
- [8 Apr] Alpha by Jasinda Wilder ★★★½
- [8 Apr] The Viscount Needs a Wife by Jo Beverley ★★★★
- [9 Apr] Getting It Back by Elizabeth Harmon ★★★½
- [10 Apr] Lessons in Loving by Peter McAra ★★★½
- [11 Apr] Betrayed by Jaye Frances ★★★★½
- [12 Apr] Ruthless by Gillian Archer ★★★½
- [13 Apr] Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen ★★★★½
- [14 Apr] Pulling Leather by L.C. Chase ★★★★½
- [15 Apr] Second Skin by Alex Whitehall ★★★½
- [16 Apr] Solitary Travelers Collection by Katey Hawthorne, Katya Harris, Rivka Aaron-Hughes, Rivka Aarons Hughes ★★★★
- [16 Apr] Mr. March Names the Stars by Rivka Aarons Hughes ★★★★
- [16 Apr] Blood and Clockwork by Katey Hawthorne ★★★★
- [17 Apr] The Rebel by Marta Perry ★★★★
- [18 Apr] Worth It All by Claudia Connor ★★★½
- [19 Apr] Dirty by Kylie Scott ★★★★★
- [20 Apr] Never Sweeter by Charlotte Stein ★★½
- [20 Apr] The Merchant of Death by J.A. Rock, Lisa Henry ★★★★
- [21 Apr] Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs ★★★★½
- [22 Apr] Temptation Has Green Eyes by Lynne Connolly ★★★★
- [22 Apr] Because You Are Mine by Lena Hart ★★
- [23 Apr] Patchwork Paradise by Indra Vaughn ★★★★
- [25 Apr] Rocked by Cari Quinn, Taryn Elliott ★★★★
- [26 Apr] Iced by Karen Marie Moning ★★★★
- [27 Apr] The Burnt Toast B&B by Heidi Belleau, Rachel Haimowitz ★★★
- [27 Apr] Go Long by Joanna Blake ★
- [28 Apr] All For Hope by Olivia Hardin ★★★
- [29 Apr] Dominated by Maya Banks
- [29 Apr] Bound to Fate by
- [30 Apr] Running With Scissors by L.A. Witt ★★★★
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review: Blade of Darkness by Dianne Duvall - November 11, 2017
- Review: Love Me By Christmas by Jaci Burton - November 8, 2017
- One Summer Night by Caridad Pineiro #Excerpt #Giveaway - October 19, 2017
- SMP Holiday Romance Blitz - October 17, 2017
- Question of the Week: When do you give up on authors you once adored? - October 9, 2017