Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
April turned out to be a better month for me blogging. I got 8 reviews written which is amazing for me. I also read 12 books, but a caveat..2 were children’s books as I help my son get to his AR (Advanced Reader) goal for this last grading period. My Kindle logs them as read books on my account. Maybe I should start a kids book review site for him and I…haha.
I am currently at my last full team dance competition. Writing this from the hotel. Last month I was at Disney for dance as well. Next week is a shorter dance competition with my daughter doing her solo. So hopefully, dance things will wind down. May is typically a chaos month in my household. So many birthdays, anniversaries, AP testing, finals, end of school, Mother’s Day…and heading out on our family vacation. So if I disappear for too long…maybe send a search party?
Spring is playing games with the weather. Good thing I haven’t planted anything, but I do have to say my lilies never bloomed. They are just nice green bushes of leaves without the yellow blooms. It’s going to be sad if they don’t bloom. Last month we ended with our water in line breaking right outside of our home and getting a $1200 bill. I am still waiting on the bill for the repair before I find someone to fix the landscaping. The budget didn’t grow unexpectedly so I might not have enough to get it fixed until next year. I really miss my bushes they destroyed 🙁
Hoping the weather is great for everyone and May brings us warmer weather and good books to read!
My Reading Breakdown: 2 NetGalleys (95%), 0 author/publisher requests, 1 DNFs, 1 audios, 0 Kindle Unlimited, 8 purchased books, 8 reviews written. Total read: 12
The Series That Never Ends: 0/6 – 0%
Bad Boys of Romance: 5/25 – 20%
Literary Pickers: 10/25 – 20%
Books ‘N Tunes: 7/25 – 28%
Review Writing: 12/50 – 24%
Reading Challenge: 45/135 – 36%
As we get close out 33% of the year gone, I need to step up a few of these challenges. Hoping I can find a closet to hide in to get a few more reviews written!
Sophia Rose’s Update
Cautiously, I put forward that Spring has sprung in my neck of the woods this past week. Alternating rainy days and sun have brought out the green and the blooms. And the allergies. Haha! I have gotten a chance to get out in the yard and clean up the fallen branches after the last ice storm, rake up after winter and loosen the soil for May planting. Rule of thumb around here is after Mother’s Day (US) if you want to be safe from frost. I’m putting in tomatoes, two kinds of peppers, and cucumbers this year.
On the writing front, I worked on a new story and it’s with a few beta readers now and then off for edits in June. I had a deplorable case of spring fever and could not get this latest to cooperate for the longest time, but it is done and I’m pretty happy with it though I know we’ll work it hard during edits.
For April, my reading total was 43.
Reading Breakdown: 13 Netgalley (97%), 17 author/publisher requests, 1 library, 19 TBR, 8 audio, 12 new to me authors, 11 new series, 3 end of series, Romance (Historical, Contemporary, Romantic Suspense, PNR, Sci-Fi, YA, Fantasy, UF, Dystopian), Other Genres (Non-fic, Mystery, Women’s Fic, Sci-Fi, His Fic), Settings (England, US, New Zealand, Jamaica, Cuba, France, South Africa, The Netherlands, Australia, Cornwall, Other worlds, Space, Ireland, Canada), Voice (3rd POV omniscient, 3rd POV limited, 1st POV)
Unconventional Book Views’ New Release: 71/100 books
Delighted Reader’s Series That Never Ends: 4/12 books
Simply Angela’s Outlander: ½ books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Read All the Books: 14 books left
My Reader Block’s Mt. TBR: 59/75 books
Austenesque Lovers: 32/50 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blogger Shame: 2/6 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 20/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers: 96/100 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blog All About It: 4/12 posts
Caffeinated Reader and Hot Listen’s Audio: 30/50 books
As Told By Tina’s Let’s Read Indie: 54 /41 books COMPLETED
Addicted to Romance’s Oldie But a Goodie: 9/10 books
Angela’s Guilty Pleasure’s Library Love: 7/12 books
Under the Cover’s Romance Roundabout: 7/15 categories
Caffeinated Reader’s Take Control TBR: 13/20 books Ended
Books That Stood Out:
Sit, Stay Love by Debbie Burns CR- Easy and Light, but Heartwarming
Seven Stones to Stand or Fall by Diana Gabaldon HF She makes writing HF look easy
Contraband Hearts by Alex Beecroft, M/M HR- character development, historical authenticity
White Hot by Ilona Andrews, UF, Action, Twists, Chemistry
Save Me by Cecy Robson, CR, sensational grand finale
So happy to welcome Lorna to our review team this month. She’s a fabulous review and great book pal so I can’t wait to get her reviews right here on Delighted Reader.
How was your April? Do Tell!
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [1 Apr] Obsidio by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff ★★★★★
- [2 Apr] Deadly Secret by Tara Thomas ★★★
- [3 Apr] About That Kiss by Jill Shalvis ★★★★½
- [10 Apr] The Bride Next Door by Hope Ramsay ★★★½
- [11 Apr] Rock Addiction by Nalini Singh ★★★½
- [12 Apr] Dane's Storm by Mia Sheridan ★★★★½
- [13 Apr] Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb ★★★★
- [14 Apr] Sit, Stay, Love by Debbie Burns ★★★★
- [15 Apr] Seven Stones to Stand or Fall by Diana Gabaldon ★★★★½
- [15 Apr] Peachy Flippin' Keen by Molly Harper ★★★★
- [16 Apr] Hold Back the Dark by Kay Hooper ★★★½
- [17 Apr] A Gentleman Revealed by Cooper Davis ★★★½
- [18 Apr] Chaser by Kylie Scott ★★★★
- [19 Apr] Assassin Next Door by Eve Langlais ★★★★½
- [19 Apr] Dragon Mated by Eliza Gayle ★★★½
- [20 Apr] More to Love by Alison Bliss ★★★
- [20 Apr] Dearest Ivie by J.R. Ward ★★★★
- [21 Apr] Deep Diving by Cate Ellink ★★★★
- [23 Apr] Defy the Dawn by Lara Adrian ★★★½
- [24 Apr] Midnight Wolf by Jennifer Ashley ★★★★
- [24 Apr] X-Ops Exposed by Paige Tyler ★★★★
- [25 Apr] Love at Last by Claudia Connor ★★★★
- [26 Apr] Free Falling by S.E. Jakes ★★★½
- [26 Apr] Dirty Deeds by S.E. Jakes ★★★★★
- [27 Apr] Midnight Breed Bundle by Lara Adrian ★★★★
- [28 Apr] Crescendo by Rachel Haimowitz ★★★★½
- [30 Apr] White Hot by Ilona Andrews ★★★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review: Cowboy Christmas Homecoming by June Faver - October 9, 2019
- Review: Cowboy Charming by Dylann Crush - October 8, 2019
- Review: The Heartbreaker by Lili Valente - October 7, 2019
- Spotlight and Giveaway: The Muscian and the Monster by Jenya Keefe - October 3, 2019
- Review: A New Leash on Love by Debbie Burns - October 1, 2019