Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
It’s been a full month in 2017! January has been a month of rewiring the home to be smart. Well at times I feel it is smarter than me. See I got and Amazon Echo in 2016 for Christmas. This year the Amazon Dot was so great that I got one for each of my kids and my husband (even one of my nieces and nephew). My husband thought it was so neat he started buying smart plugs and smart switches for the house. Power was switch, Internet was out and now I can control a lot of lights in the house. Never mind that the kitchen light flashes like a strobe light sometimes in the morning giving you a migraine before you even get started for the day. All kidding aside, this is all very cool. Oh, and don’t forget I also got a Ring doorbell that now tells me when anyone trips the motion sensor and I don’t have to answer the door for people who look sketchy, but can talk to them through my phone to the doorbell.
Dreary weather has kept us indoors, but we have had some weird warm up spells. Only one snow day so far this year. Fingers crossed that is done.
The Great Pick Up Line
Starts tomorrow! I am so excited for 36 authors to visit us and tell us more about their book. Some awesome giveaways are also coming. I do have to note that this caused me to be extremely busy formatting so I didn’t get much done this month.
What’s going on?
- Read: 13
- DNF: 1
- Reviewed: 0
- Reading Statistics: 5 Netgalley, 5 Kindle Unlimited, 3 Bought
- NetGalley percentage at 96%
Books of note:
Justice Ascending by Rebecca Zanetti – I snapped this up and read it as fast as I could. It had just enough action, sex and inner turmoil to keep me engaged. I already want the next book now!
- The Series That Never Ends – Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis – 3/12
- New To Me – 5/40
- Books ‘N Tunes – 0/30
- Literary Pickers – 0/35
- Bad Boys of Romance – 2/35
- Review Writing Challenge – 0/100
- Reading Challenge – 13/155
Sophia Rose’s Update
Can’t believe we’re already done with January. Wowsers, I blinked and it happened. Well, actually, I think it was because things got a tad busy with edits on a story, overtime hours (which we’re lucky to get so I try not to complain), doing my own vacuum repair work that resurrected the old gal so I didn’t have to buy a new one (thank you YouTube how to videos), and the usual busy busy. What about you? Did it fly by or drag by?
As to books, I think I got off to a fantastic start this year for my challenges and my review list. Here’s what I got read.
My January total: 32
Reading Breakdown: 16 NetGalleys (95%), 15 author/publisher requests, 12 TBR Pile, 6 Audio, two DNF, 11 New to Me Authors, 7 New Series, 1 Series Ending
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR- 14/75 books
COYER Blackout’s- 57/50 books
Herding Cat Burning Soup’s Read All the Books- 15/40 books
Austenesque Lovers- 6/20 books
Herding Cat Burning Soup’s Blogger Shame- 1/30 books
Unconventional Bookview’s New Release- 16/60 books
Hot Listens and Caffeinated Book Reviews’ Audio- 6/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes- 10/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers- 30/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Series- 2/10 books
Delighted Reader’s Bad Boys- 5/15 books
Addicted to Romance’s Oldie But a Goodie- 2/10 books
Simply Angela’s Outlander Series- 0/4 books
Under the Covers’ Romance Roundabout – 1/15 categories
Not bad, right? How are you doing with these early days of your book reading challenges?
I do believe my next To Be or Not To Be…Read vote winner will be Real Vampires Know Size Matters though a late inning rush of votes might change that. 😉 It will be fun to get this blend of comedy and Urban Fantasy plus tackling one of the oldest books on my review pile. Thanks, guys!
Also, yay, The Great Pick Up Line is starting up (Shari did a fabulous job putting it all together- those who do blog events know what that involves). I love this blog event that goes for the whole month of February (and a little beyond) because the authors can be so creative with their excerpts sharing that first moment their romance characters meet. Always one of the best parts of the story for me. Then there is the enjoyment of meeting new to me authors and books. Hope you drop by often and have some fun with this event, too.
So, do tell about your last month!
January 2017 Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about in the month of December.
- [1 Jan] Ashen Winter by Mike Mullins ★★★★
- [2 Jan] Long Shadows by Kate Sherwood ★★★★
- [3 Jan] On Broken Wings by Chanel Cleeton ★★★★★
- [4 Jan] The Trouble With Dukes by Grace Burrowes ★★★★
- [7 Jan] The Geisha With the Green Eyes by India Millar ★★★
- [8 Jan] Collision of the Heart by Laurie Alice Eakes ★★★★
- [9 Jan] Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen ★★★★
- [9 Jan] Bitterwood by Rowan Speedwell ★★★★
- [10 Jan] Worth the Wait by Claudia Connor ★★★★
- [11 Jan] What Remains by Garrett Leigh ★★★★½
- [12 Jan] Blazing Hot Cowboy by Kim Redford ★★★
- [13 Jan] Highland Spy by Madelyn Martin ★★★★
- [14 Jan] Claimed by the Cyborg by Cara Bristol ★★★½
- [15 Jan] The Best Part of Love by Amy D’Orazio ★★★★½
- [16 Jan] Breath of Fire by Amanda Bouchet ★★★★
- [16 Jan] Good Boy by Anne Tenino ★★★★
- [18 Jan] Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh ★★★★
- [18 Jan] Rebound Remedy by Christine d'Abo ★★★★
- [22 Jan] The Return of Sir Percival: Guinever’s Prayer by S. Alexander O’Keefe ★★★★
- [23 Jan] Destination Chile by Katy Colins ★★★★
- [24 Jan] Eleventh Grave in Moonlight by Darynda Jones ★★★★
- [25 Jan] Sweet Hope by Tillie Cole ★★★★½
- [25 Jan] Champagne Kisses by Lynda Aicher ★★★½
- [26 Jan] Sweet Soul by Tillie Cole ★★★★½
- [27 Jan] Stroked by Meghan Quinn
- [27 Jan] Last True Hero by
- [28 Jan] Dirty Money by Jessica Clare ★★★★
- [29 Jan] Austen in Austin by Dina Sleiman, Lisa Karon Richardson, Niki Turner, Suzie Johnson ★★★★
- [30 Jan] Wicked Cowboy Charm by Carolyn Brown ★★★★
- [31 Jan] Justice Ascending by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★
- [31 Jan] Lit Fuse by Caisey Quinn ★★★★
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review: Cocky: A Reverse Harem Story by Ashlee Price - June 14, 2018
- Relaxing on a beach with a good book? Dearest Ivie will play havok with your emotions! - June 9, 2018
- Review: Must Love Babies by Lynnette Austin - June 3, 2018
- The Book Report May 2018 - May 31, 2018
- COCKTALES, A LIMITED-RELEASE ANTHOLOGY - May 26, 2018