Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
July turned out to be a pretty good month for me. I read 13 books which isn’t great, but not bad either. Balancing that out, I had my best review writing month in a long time, but at least the best in 2018. A total of 9 review and I prepped a lot more for August!
It’s almost time to send my kids back to school. Just one week left of summer vacation. It never seems to be much time and I hate going back so early in August. Third grade is the name of the game this year. In Indiana, this is the pivital grade. By this point you should be able to read and comprehend, figure out what’s inferred. Cursive writing along with multiplications. And the slew of standardized tests start that I find a total waste of time. This is my last time through this grade! It’s also senior year for my oldest kid and I don’t know how we got here. She should be wearing pink bows with pigtails, demanding she only wear dresses. Yep, I am not ready to send her to college!
In a couple of weeks Sophia Rose will be back and if you haven’t noticed we have Lorna on the team with a lot of new reviews! We are all working hard and hope you have enjoyed our Beach Reads series. August is the last month of them, so pick up the books we suggest because they are keepers!
Now grab your books and find some shade. Hope you get to read everything you want!
My Reading Breakdown: 0 NetGalleys (95%), 0 author/publisher requests, 0 DNFs, 0 audios, 4 Kindle Unlimited, 9 purchased books.
The Series That Never Ends: 0/6 – 0%
Bad Boys of Romance: 14/25 – 56%
Literary Pickers: 21/50 – 42%
Books ‘N Tunes: 18/25 – 72%
Review Writing: 23/50 – 46%
Reading Challenge: 83/135 – 61%
Sophia Rose’s Update
We had a fabulous 4th with extended family over at Grammy’s. The heat was sweltering so Grammy and Pip’s pool was where it was at (though we all joked about the water being so warm that it was like bathwater). Lots of delicious barbecue pot-luck fare. And, catching up with family.
But, now, we’re headed out west to Utah to drop in on my folks and then my brother and his wife to visit, do some camping, and more or less chill (though probably not in a Utah summer). I’ll be offline and unplugged for most of the time so no worries if you don’t seen me about until sometime in August.
On a sidenote, I am fed up with airlines who change their policies and charges after I purchase my tickets. I feel like it’s a business contract where they should have to honor what they were offering at the point of ticket purchase. Oh, and good thing I took a quick perusal over what is allowed to be packed in carry-on/checked bags b/c in just a few months since the last time I flew- there are three changes) TRAVEL PRO TIP: Always check even right up to the day of going through security and checking baggage- it changes that fast. LOL
I’m still in the middle of my COYER Summer challenge and really pleased with the reading numbers and the fun games, chats and mini-challenges, but also the joy of getting books read and off the back of my Kindle and real life shelves.
For the first time in my reviewer history, I’m caught up so that only books not released for a while or books I only just received are on the pile of a dozen. I never thought this would be possible for me. I’ll bask in the thrill of it since we all know it will be short lived-(Sophia has no self-control with review requests).
July Reading Total: 15 books (reflects only half of July at this point)
Reading Breakdown: 2 Netgalley (98%), 4 author/publisher requests, 5 audio, 10 TBR shelf, 1 library book, 5 new series, 4 new to me authors, Romance Subgenres: Contemporary, New Adult, PNR, Historical, Western, Steampunk, Romantic Suspense, YA
COYER Summer: 36 books/20+books
Delighted Reader’s Series That Never Ends: 9/13 books
Simply Angela’s Outlander: 1 of 2 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Read All the Books: 62/75 Nalini Singh books and stories
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR: 93/100 books moved up a level
Austenesque Lovers: 43/50 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blogger Shame: 7/7 COMPLETED (yep, no more oldies left on the pile)
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 34/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers; 100/100 books COMPLETED (took me 4ever to get that surfboard)
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blog All About It: 8/12 topics
Hot Listens and Caffeinated Reader’s Audiobook: 48/50 books
Angela’s Guilty Pleasures’ Library Love: 11/12 books
Under the Cover’s Romance Roundabout: 14/15 categories of five books each
Books That Stood Out:
Small Town Rumors by Carolyn Brown, CR, Homey feeling and fun
Born in Darkness by Lara Adrian, PNR, fresh feeling that has me excited again for the series
Inseverable by Cecy Robson, CR, oh the feels
And, there you have it! Anyone else having a good time with their summer reading?
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [1 Jul] Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson ★★★★
- [2 Jul] The Wild Heir by Karina Halle ★★★★½
- [3 Jul] To Catch a Texas Star by Linda Broday ★★★★½
- [5 Jul] Apache Flame by Madeline Baker ★★★★
- [6 Jul] Born of Darkness by Lara Adrian ★★★★
- [8 Jul] Zombie Abbey by Lauren Baratz-Logsted ★★★½
- [9 Jul] Finding Master Right by Sparrow Beckett ★★★★
- [10 Jul] Playing Hard to Master by Sparrow Beckett ★★★★
- [11 Jul] To Have and To Master by Sparrow Beckett ★★★★
- [12 Jul] Getting Wilde by Jenn Stark ★★★½
- [13 Jul] Second Chance Dom by Sparrow Beckett ★★★★
- [15 Jul] The Second Date: Love Italian-American Style by Mary Lydon Simonsen ★★★½
- [16 Jul] Rainy Day Friends by Jill Shalvis ★★★★½
- [16 Jul] Tucker by Lori Foster ★★★★
- [17 Jul] Butterfly Swords by Jeannie Lin ★★★★
- [18 Jul] Rome's Chance by Joanna Wylde ★★★★★
- [19 Jul] Wild Trail by A.M. Arthur ★★★½
- [20 Jul] Beneath the Scars by Cherise Sinclair ★★★★
- [22 Jul] Small Town Rumors by Carolyn Brown ★★★★½
- [23 Jul] Modern Love by Beau North ★★★★
- [24 Jul] Inseverable by Cecy Robson ★★★★
- [25 Jul] Mister Tonight by Kendall Ryan ★★★★
- [26 Jul] Magnolia Mystic by Lisa Kessler ★★★★
- [27 Jul] Awaken the Darkness by Dianne Duvall ★★★★★
- [30 Jul] Mission Improper by Bec McMaster ★★★★
- [31 Jul] Dune Drive by Mariah Stewart ★★★★
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review: Dirty Like Jude by Jaine Diamond - September 21, 2019
- Review: Be With Me by Jules Bennett - September 20, 2019
- Review: Want Me Cowboy by Maisey Yates - September 18, 2019
- Review: Silver Silence by Nalini Singh - September 17, 2019
- Review: Cuffed by His Charm by Stacey Kennedy - September 16, 2019