Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
I apologize for the shortened version of The Book Report. I am currently finishing up our yearly vacation. We had to move it to spring break this year due to my oldest getting a summer job and my middle child taking summer PE.
Today is my middle child’s 14th birthday! I can’t believe she will be a freshman in high school next year. She is my blonde child and I don’t mean mentally, but for real as she was born with totally white hair. Reading isn’t her thing…well unless it is anime/manga styled. She has blossomed with her art over the next year and I can’t believe the art she creates. So today we are taking a glass bottom boat tour on Disney’s private island Castaway Cay and later at supper we have a cake being delivered. Happy Birthday!
Reading! I hope I am sitting a lounge chair some having a drink as I watch us sail the Caribbean! This will be an short report since I will be missing a week as I am preparing this before I leave.
What’s going on?
- Read: 11 books (hope it’s more!)
- DNF: 0 book
- Reviewed: 4 books
- Reading Statistics: 3 NetGalley, 6 bought books, 2 Kindle Unlimited
- NetGalley percentage at 97%
Books of note:
Shade’s Lady really knocked at my heart strings hard, but also revved up my engines. Joanna Wylde is back with a short story in the Reaper’s world. Meet Shade the national president of the Reapers and Mandy a down on her luck waitress always in the wrong place at the wrong time. We don’t see the Reapers we know and love, but it’s another knock out story from an author I adore.
- The Series That Never Ends – Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis – 9/12
- New To Me – 9/40
- Books ‘N Tunes – 3/30
- Literary Pickers – 5/35
- Bad Boys of Romance – 4/35
- Review Writing Challenge – 3/100
- Reading Challenge – 36/155
Sophia Rose’s Update
Hope you had a fun and lucky St. Paddy’s Day and the Ides of March didn’t prove ominous for you. They actually did for me. We got a huginormous wind storm through here that knocked out power for days and of course we got a cold snap come in right behind it so our home dropped too cold to stay in it for a couple days there. But good news is that we didn’t lose the food in our fridge and freezer. Haha. We also didn’t get any damage to our home when others on our street and around the area did. So maybe we had the Luck of the Irish after all.
My other piece of news is that the anthology my short story is being published in has its cover reveal March 28th. Can’t wait for you all to see it. It has some pop and a really nifty bit of extra. I’ll post up on Facebook and stuff when it unwraps.
As to books, I’ve been participating in Caffeinated Book Reviews’ month-long Take Control TBR Pile and Readathon Challenge. My goal was ten and as of this posting I’m at seven. I’m going to make it I just know it and it feels great reading the older ones. And for the first time, I finished a novel-length book entirely for the day-long readathon on March 18th.
My numbers were a little lower this month since I didn’t read during the storm and just after and I’m turning this in earlier than usual so Shari has it before she’s off on her high seas adventure, but here’s what I got. Not bad. J
Reading Break Down: 11 Net Galley (96%), 5 author/publisher requests, 6 TBR, 1 DNF, 2 Audio, 7 new to me authors, 6 new series, 1 end of series
Books That Stood Out:
Never Forget by Marliss Melton, RS, older couple, well-written grief and guilt angle
The Confessions of Young Nero by Margaret George, HF, famous figure and fascinating historical setting
Wait For Signs by Craig Johnson, My, Longmire humor and heartwarming
Home Fires by Kate Sherwood, M/M RS, grand in the grand finale
An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole, H-RS, series to keep an eye on and well written interracial romance
Reading Challenge Updates
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR- 34/75 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Read All the Books- 30/40 books
Austenesque Lovers’ TBR- 10/21 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blogger Shame- 8/30 books
(Un)Conventional Book Views & Books Movies Reviews Oh My’s New Release- 42/60 books
Hot Listens & Caffeinated Book Reviews’ Audio- 22/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes- 17/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers- 75/99 books
Delighted Reader’s Series- 9/19 books
Delighted Reader’s Bad Boys- 10/15 books
Addicted to Romance’s Oldie But a Goodie- 3/10 books
Simply Angela’s Outlander Series- 1/4 books
Under the Cover’s Romance Roundabout- 5/15 categories
So how was your March? Any Mother Nature on a Bender stuff for you? First quarter of the year’s almost down so how are your reading challenges going? Do Tell!
March 2017 Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about in the month of March.
- [1 Mar] Someone to Hold by Mary Balogh ★★★★★
- [2 Mar] Without a Conscience by Cat Gardiner ★★★★½
- [3 Mar] Her True Match by Paige Tyler ★★★½
- [4 Mar] Silver Thaw by Catherine Anderson ★★★★
- [5 Mar] Gemina by Amie Kauffman, Jay Kristoff ★★★★½
- [6 Mar] When All the World Sleeps by J.A. Rock, Lisa Henry
- [7 Mar] Undiscovered by Sara Humphreys ★★★½
- [8 Mar] The Plot by Melinda De Ross ★★★★
- [9 Mar] Beautiful Mess by Kasey Lane ★★★
- [10 Mar] Brighter Than the Sun by Maya Banks ★★★½
- [12 Mar] Darcy’s Hope: At Donwell Abbey by Ginger Monette ★★★★½
- [13 Mar] Darkness by Kate Sherwood ★★★★
- [13 Mar] Where There’s Smoke by Cari Z. ★★★★
- [14 Mar] Live Wire by Caisey Quinn ★★★★
- [15 Mar] Crave Me by Cecy Robson ★★★★★
- [16 Mar] Talk Cowboy to Me by Carolyn Brown ★★★★
- [17 Mar] The Confessions of Young Nero by Margaret George ★★★★
- [18 Mar] The Promise by Piper Davenport ★★★★
- [19 Mar] Wondering Sight by Melissa McShane ★★★★
- [20 Mar] Real Vampires Know Size Matters by Gerry Bartlett ★★½
- [20 Mar] Take Me As I Am by Charmaine Ross ★★★½
- [21 Mar] Hard Justice by Lori Foster ★★★★
- [22 Mar] Written on My Heart by Tracey Jane Jackson ★★★★
- [23 Mar] Never Forget by Marliss Melton ★★★★½
- [24 Mar] Mutationem by Phoenix Jericho
- [24 Mar] Until September by
- [25 Mar] Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs ★★★★★
- [26 Mar] Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews ★★★★
- [27 Mar] Kaleidoscope by Kristen Ashley ★★★½
- [28 Mar] An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole ★★★★
- [29 Mar] Zan by Jane Shoup ★★★
- [30 Mar] A Small Town Bride by Hope Ramsay ★★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review: Lethal Lies by Rebecca Zanetti - May 24, 2017
- To Be or Not to Be…Read TBR Pile Vote April - May 24, 2017
- Yakkety Yak – Favorite Blends - May 6, 2017
- Review: Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh - May 5, 2017
- Guest Author: Writing What You Know, Even When It Sucks By Cari Z #Giveaway - May 4, 2017