Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
May, oh so sweet May! Let’s just say there is no rest for the wicked in my family for May. We start off with my brother’s birthday, then onto Mother’s Day. Got to spend the day with my wonderful mother who is trying to sell her house. Heartbreaking to watch, but this isn’t the house I grew up in so I don’t have much in the way of attachment to it. Then onto my birthday, two days later my son’s birthday, throw in my niece’s birthday, plus a couple of birthday parties! And let’s not forget that it’s the end of school, so my kids are stressing out about finals. No graduates this year, so I got a break on that one. While we aren’t going on vacation until June, I am also in the midst of packing for it. So yeah, it seems like each day I don’t sleep, I don’t get to read or do anything to rejuvenate….me.
A lot has gone on….one I got a new Cricut Explore Air…say what? I am a former scrapbooker, current crafter who took a break when my son started dumping glitter all around my craft room. Now that he is in school full time, I am itching to get back to crafting. Cricut creates home die cutting systems. I have an old Cricut that basically cut out images in paper that I glued together. Here is some ideas of what I used to create with it.
So for Mother’s Day my family got me a new Cricut that I can create almost anything on my laptop and cut it from iron on, vinyl, paper, fabric and it even draws. For my son’s birthday I created coloring cards for Minecraft along with Creeper favor bags. I was a hit with my son! Next up, I am going to make us matching shirts for our Disney vacation. Just need for the shirts to get here!
And I am sad and elated to say dance competition season is over for 2016! While I love watching my daughter dance, the drama (not like Dance Moms) is a little overwhelming. The season starts in August and runs through May. Unfortunately the end recital doesn’t take place until Father’s Day weekend, so it never seems we get a break to allow my kids to relax and be kids. To give you some perspective, this is my oldest daughter who has been competing for 4 years. We are retiring her solo after three years competing with it. Here’s her with all her awards.
Now the really sad news…my Kindle Voyage died. RIP.
I have been having a hard time charging it. The plug has to be exactly in the way it wants for the orange light to come on. So I thought I was charging it one night when I get get the battery sign on it the next morning. So I arrange the plug again and leave it charging all day. No reading *cries* on the one Sunday I had off to read. By the early evening it’s still orange, so I decide to try it anyway. Nope still has the battery sign. So I try hard rebooting it. Same image of a battery plugged in. *crying and flailing around like a toddler at this point* My husband sees my distress and tells me to order a new one because he knows I can’t live without it.
So I have a new Kindle Voyage. I looked at the Oasis, but for $289, it just didn’t offer enough features to make me jump up for $90 more. I even cringed at getting the Voyage at $199, but I love the pressure points or screen taps for turning plus the light sensor for knowing when you need more backlight or not (which the Oasis didn’t have, go figure).
Blog Ahead – the mini version, started on May 1 and we rocked our goal. I set the goal pretty high at 40 posts, but I was trying to get things rolling for vacation. I was writing reviews right up to the last few hours getting my posts done. Can you believe I am caught up on my review writing? I mean the collection on my Kindle that is labeled “Needs Review” is empty! I don’t think it has been empty since the day I created it. Thank you to Herding Cats and Burning Soup for hosting this fun event and pushing me to empty my Needs Review collection!
We also started taking requests for our summer event, Stranded with a Book, anyone can join, so head on over and sign up! So far we have 5 dates taken, so we have plenty of room for authors to join us!
What did I do this month? Besides schedule posts? Well, not much on the reading front.
- Read: 7
- Reviewed: 12 reviews (actually wrote more, but they are coming in June)
- Reading Statistics: 5 from NetGalley or Publisher, 1 Kindle Unlimited, 1 Purchased
- NetGalley percentage at 86%
- [3 May] Dare to Take by Carly Phillips ★★★★
- [4 May] Rocky Mountain Desire by Vivian Arend ★★★★
- [5 May] Rock Redemption by Nalini Singh ★★★½
- [6 May] His Secret Baby by Vanessa Waltz ★★
- [10 May] Mayday by Olivia Dade ★★★½
- [17 May] Completing the Pass by Jeanette Murray ★★★★½
- [25 May] Twisted by Cari Quinn, Taryn Elliott ★★★★
- [25 May] Untwisted by Cari Quinn, Taryn Elliott ★★★★
- [26 May] Z by Larissa Ione ★★★★
- [27 May] Rock Courtship by Nalini Singh ★★★★
- [30 May] Under the Surface by Anne Calhoun ★★★★
- [31 May] Heart of a Bad Boy by Sugar Jamison ★★★★★
Bad Boys of Romance Challenge: 11/35
The Series That Never Ends Challenge: 1/12
Books 'N Tunes Challenge: 13/30
Literary Pickers Challenge: 14/35
Invalid challenge name.
Invalid challenge name.
Review Writing Challenge: 19/100
Sophia Rose’s Update
Blink! Where did May go? It was just Mother’s Day, right? Now I’m planning for the family cookout on Memorial Day. Just wow!
So May was an eventful month. My latest venture has been dealing with a bout of Poison Ivy. It was hiding in my north front flower bed among the bushes where I was weeding. I gardened for an hour after that and managed to spread it well as a result. But meds and lotion are doing the job.
On the book front, I participated in Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reader and Kristen @ Happily Ever After’s month-long #CleanSweepARC challenge and the extra #Cleansweepthon.
My goal was to finish sixteen review books and as of this post, I’ve hit twenty-five. Woohoo!
And that readathon? I finished a full novel. Felt good. See my Instagram page if you want to catch my wee-hours readathon action. Haha!
Thanks to these ladies for hosting and giving me the incentive to gets some much needed work done on my review pile.
Along those lines, I have decided to keep going with another challenge to keep me motivated (don’t ask me how this works with my psyche, but it does so I’m going with it).
The COYER Challenge hosted by Berls @ Fantasy is More Fun, Michelle @ Because Reading, and Stormi @ Books, Movies, Reviews, Oh My!
Here’s the link if you want to check it out for yourself: http://www.becausereading.com/time-sign-coyer-summer-vacation/
Many of you have done the COYER (Clear Off Your E-Reader) Challenge in the past and it looked fun, but I always had review commitments so I couldn’t dedicate so much time mostly to freebies and inexpensive ebooks (though Lord knows I need to). However, they relaxed the rules for the Summer COYER challenge which makes it possible for me to give it a shot. Huzzah! Pretty much any book and format goes, but I want to stay narrowed and finish up my review pile and then work at my TBR pile.
So my goal for amount of books read between June 18th and Sept 2nd: 35 books
For the month of May, my books read total is: 44 (The total includes a few from the last month b/c I did my last monthly update early)
Book Breakdown: 16 Net Galley (92%), 23 author/publisher requests, 21 New to Me authors, 15 new series, 4 end of series, 1 DNF, 12 TBR pile, 4 audio
Austenesque Lovers: 22/21 COMPLETE Moved up to next level
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 25/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Series: 5/9 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Read All the Books: 0 books
Addicted to Romance’s Oldies But Goodies: 10/10 books COMPLETE Moving up to next level
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers: 98/99 books
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR: 82/75 books COMPLETE Moving up to next level
**Herding Cats Burning Soup’s New to Me: 79/75 books COMPLETE
The Book Nympho and Hot Listen’s Audio: 22/20 books COMPLETE Moving up to next level
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blogger Shame: 25/50 books
**Delighted Reader’s Bad Boys: 25/15 books COMPLETE
Under the Cover’s Romance Roundabout: 11/12 Categories
Brazen Babe’s Diversity: 32/50 books
** If I complete a challenge goal and there are no additional levels, then I will no longer track it on the report.
To Be or Not to Be…Read Vote update: I haven’t updated on these books over the last few months, but the I am reading and reviewing them. Have to tell you that the opening scenes in the April book were real lulus. I thought it was crazy stuff and wondered if I could do it. I mean the hero was a POW and injured, comes home to find out that everyone thought he was dead, aaannnd, his girl was getting set to marry his best friend. Yep! But it worked out. Your winning streak of good picks is still intact.
Can’t wait to see what you all think of our new Summer Event and variety of posts. Think you’re gonna like it. So how did your month go? Do tell!
Sophia Rose’s May 2016 Reviews
- [1 May] The Steel & Stone by Annette Marie ★★★★½
- [2 May] Where There’s A Will by Cari Z. ★★★★½
- [3 May] The Devil You Know by Jo Goodman ★★★★½
- [6 May] Dirty Laundry by Heidi Cullinan ★★★★
- [7 May] Fly With Me by Chanel Cleeton ★★★★½
- [8 May] A Fine Stout Love and Other Stories: Petite Tales Volume One by Renee Beyea ★★★★
- [9 May] Precious Metals by L.A. Witt ★★★
- [11 May] By Her Side by Lizzy Chandler ★★★★
- [12 May] Tempest by J.A. Rock, Lisa Henry ★★★★
- [13 May] Finding Fraser by K.C. Dyer ★★★★½
- [14 May] Dial L for Lynda by Amanda Washington, Tracey Jane Jackson ★★★★
- [15 May] A Useful Woman by Darcie Wilde ★★★★★
- [16 May] Only Beloved by Mary Balogh ★★★★
- [18 May] Let Me by Cecy Robson ★★★★½
- [19 May] Reunion by Jaye Frances ★★★★½
- [20 May] Dreams of Her Own by Rebecca Hefflin ★★★★
- [21 May] Breaking Skye by Eden Bradley ★★★½
- [22 May] The Girl From Summer Hill by Jude Deveraux ★★★½
- [23 May] Altered by Marnee Blake ★★★★
- [24 May] A Reason to Love by Alexis Morgan ★★★½
- [26 May] Burned by Karen Marie Moning ★★★
- [27 May] Dance With Deception by Tracy Goodwin
- [28 May] Bluewater Bay #DelightedBytheSeries
- [28 May] Starstruck by L.A. Witt ★★★½
- [28 May] There’s Something About Ari by L.B. Gregg ★★★½
- [29 May] A Lady in the Smoke by Karen Odden ★★★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Blog All About It Challenge ~ March 2018 - March 15, 2018
- Tides of Honour by Genevieve Graham #TGPUL - February 28, 2018
- The Book Report February 2018 - February 28, 2018
- The Great Pick Up Line – Quote Me On This! Blogger Edition - February 25, 2018
- The World’s Worst Boyfriend by Erika Kelly #TGPUL #Giveaway - February 24, 2018