Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
Well, if you know me then you know my May is off the hook busy each year as this is when everything seems to hit at once. It starts with my Mom’s birthday, who turned 70 this year! A week later is my brother’s birthday (I will refrain from posting his age as I am older than him). Throw in my daughter taking her first AP exam in high school and stressing out over it. Then a dance competition over Mother’s Day weekend (I guess this shows my dedication to being a mother, but I missed seeing my own mother this weekend). The girls’ duet came in 3rd place overall, and my oldest’s solo came in 7th place overall, with their large group clogging coming in 1st place overall. It was a good weekend for our dancers.
But it didn’t stop there. It was picture week for dance, so each night I was doing hair and make up, the garage door spring popped and we had to manually open the garage door, which is heavy! My husband went out of town on Mother’s Day and came back on my birthday (yep, I turned old again this month). Then my son’s birthday two days later, but I dropped the ball and forgot to schedule his family party, so we did that 3 days ago. Oh, and the last week of school held water balloon fights, field trips and dreaded finals.
Let’s not forget my niece who was supposed to graduate, but technically didn’t even though she walked with her class (which is a whole other story) and a cousin-in-law who also graduated, not to mention all the dance friends of my daughter who graduated and I am partied out right now.
Memorial Day was sad for me as I remembered my stepfather who passed away almost 3 years ago. He served in the Air Force through Vietnam. The pain of his leaving us is still felt as my mother sold the house they built together and is currently looking for a new home with little luck. We are continuing to view houses daily (in fact today as well).
All of this ends with today. Me sitting here typing and thinking of the next few weeks and how I am going to survive them.
With all of this, I didn’t read as much, didn’t write as much and I need a vacation I am not going to get this summer. Oh, well, it is what it is. Onto the next projects…my oldest has a summer job, dance recital, tutoring in Spanish for my middle child, just general tutoring for my son and summer PE for my middle child. Let’s not forget I have a bur up my butt to paint the kitchen, foyer and hallway this summer. Being an artist, my middle child wants to do murals and paint the foyer black…shakes my head in confusion.
So right, this is a romance book blog…guess I should get back to that!
What’s going on?
- Read: 8
- DNF: 0
- Reviewed: 2
- Reading Statistics: 3 Netgalley, 5 Bought
- NetGalley percentage at 98%
Books of note:
By the Hour (Pleasure Principle, #2) by Roni Loren – This book had a lot of taboo elements that really made for a wonderful story as both have to come to grips with how to handle them. It isn’t technically a BDSM story, but does involve some dominance, and pushing of limits. Roni is now a indie/self-published author, so I don’t get ARCs of her stories any more 🙁
- The Series That Never Ends – Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis – 111/12
- New To Me – 5/40
- Books ‘N Tunes – 13/30
- Literary Pickers – 14/35
- Bad Boys of Romance – 10/35
- Review Writing Challenge – 16/100
- Reading Challenge – 57/155
Sophia Rose’s Update
Happy Mother’s Day in the US happened and it was fun giving my mother in law some hanging flower baskets for her porch and getting off a book my mom wanted. I received a bush for our yard (and don’t tell my family, but I have no idea what it is, but the good news is that I do know it will flower into the fall and survive Michigan winters- they remembered that much from the garden center tag before tearing it off).
So, this Memorial Day (May 29) is particularly poignant for me. Our family lost two friends this month. Both men served in the US Navy and lost their fight with cancer. We just observed the funeral and military tribute for one of them, Jimmy. It gave me extra shivers to see the flag folded and given to his widow and the military honor guard standing at attention while Taps was played and the gun salute. Military service comes with a price and I’m thankful to all those who have served and sacrificed. For those celebrating Memorial Day, wishing you a dry, warm day to cookout and enjoy family, and everyone else… wishing you the same. Give them a hug and tell them you love them.
Yesterday we had the Release Party for The Darcy Monologues and its half-way through its tour. Favorable reviews are coming in so I’ve been in high cotton lately and driving my family nuts with my odd hours and excitement.
I participated in Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviews May Clean Sweep ARC/Review Challenge. My goal was to finish 12 books and I got to 17 so woohoo! And there are still a few days left while I’m typing this so maybe I’ll hit 20.
And now, I’ve signed up for COYER (Clean Off Your E-Reader) Summer which begins on June 17th. I am jazzed about this and set my goal at 45 books by Sept 8th and chose the option of no list. There is still time to sign up if you want to check it out here: http://coyerchallenge.com/2017/05/20/coyer-summer-reading-list-sign-now-challenge-starts-june-17th/
May Reading Total: 33
Reading Breakdown: Net Galley Requests- 10 (98%), Author/Publisher requests- 13, DNFs 3, Audios 3, TBR 14, New to Me authors 8, New Series- 7, Unsolicited Review ARCs- 5
Reading Challenge Updates:
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR- 68/75 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Read All the Books- 55 books by Nalini Singh
Austenesque Lovers TBR- 20/20 books COMPLETED- Moving up a level
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blogger Shame- 23/30 books
UnConventional Bookviews & Books, Movies, Reviews, Oh My’s New Release- 72/100 books
Hot Listens & Caffeinated Book Reviews’ Audio- 35/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes- 23/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Picker- 112/117 books
Delighted Reader’s Series- 16/18 books
Delighted Reader’s Bad Boys- 15/15 COMPLETED
Addicted to Romance’s Oldie But a Goodie- 3/10 books
Simply Angela’s Outlander- 2/4 books
Under the Covers’ Romance Roundabout – 8/15 categories
So how have things been for you this month? Do tell!
May 2017 Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about in the month of May.
- [1 May] Love Me Again by Jaci Burton ★★★★
- [1 May] After the End by Katie Ruggle ★★★★
- [2 May] Pipe Dreams by Sarina Bowen ★★★
- [3 May] The Heart of a Texas Cowboy by Linda Broday ★★★★★
- [5 May] Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh ★★★★★
- [7 May] The Lady of the Lakes by Josi S. Kilpack ★★★★
- [8 May] Shield of Winter by Nalini Singh ★★★★★
- [9 May] Wolf Bride by Elizabeth Moss ★★★½
- [10 May] A Piece of My Heart by Sharon Sala ★★★★½
- [11 May] Sweet Tea and Spirits by Angie Fox ★★★★
- [12 May] The Wicked Duke by Madeline Hunter ★★★★
- [12 May] Secrets and Ink by Lou Harper ★★★½
- [14 May] The Crown Spire by Catherine Curzon ★★★★
- [15 May] Free Space by Sean Danker ★★★★
- [17 May] Hell or High Water by Julie Ann Walker ★★★★
- [18 May] Shards of Hope by Nalini Singh ★★★★½
- [19 May] Complicated by Kristen Ashley ★★★★½
- [21 May] Indestructible by ★★★★
- [22 May] Feel Me by Cecy Robson ★★★★½
- [24 May] Lethal Lies by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★½
- [24 May] Lethal Lies by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★½
- [25 May] Hammered by Kevin Hearne ★★★½
- [26 May] Last Mile by Katie Ashley
- [26 May] Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
- [26 May] Falling Deepter by Shayla Black
- [28 May] Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews ★★★★
- [29 May] One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews ★★★★★
- [29 May] Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews ★★★★
- [30 May] Toughest Cowboy in Texas by Carolyn Brown ★★★★
- [31 May] Merely a Marriage by Jo Beverley ★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- SMP Holiday Romance Blitz - October 17, 2017
- Question of the Week: When do you give up on authors you once adored? - October 9, 2017
- The Kingmaker Chronicles Finale is coming soon! #Giveaway #Excerpt - October 8, 2017
- Question of the Week: Are 99 cent books a deal? - October 2, 2017
- BLOG AHEAD! 31 DAYS, 30+ PRE-SCHEDULED POSTS - October 1, 2017