Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
Happy Holidays! It’s that wonderful time of year we get Hallmark movies you husband wants to play drinking games with, the kids push the thankful piece of your mind and time seems to not be your own. It also brings about peppermint hot chocolate, fire place fires, snow, wrapping gifts, cookies baking everywhere and so much more. I love it all.
I participated in HoHoHoRAT holiday and winter readathon for the first time! I put together a list of six books to read over the course of the week. I finished up four of them and started a fifth. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it to six, but I was still happy with how much I did get read. That just means I have another holiday book to look forward to reading! Thank you to Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer and her helpers for putting on a wonderful event!
Reading was a late night event for me this month or the pick up line at school. To say I am tired during the day is true. I just want to read and I found most of the time I had to stay up late if I wanted to read. So maybe I will sleep a bit now and close my update, lol.
Reviewing didn’t go as planned. I spent a lot of time prepping the blog for 2019. No design changes, just getting ready for some new events that I can’t wait to tell you about.
My Reading Breakdown: 3 NetGalleys (94%), 0 Free Books, 1 Kindle Unlimited, 3 purchased books, 7 read total, 2 reviews written.
The Series That Never Ends: 4/5 – 80% (so close)
Bad Boys of Romance: 21/25 – 84%
Literary Pickers: 45/50 – 90%
Books ‘N Tunes: 33/25 – 132% – DONE
Review Writing: 51/50 – 98% – DONE
Reading Challenge: 124/135 – 91%
Sophia Rose’s Update
Happy Holidays to everyone!
I’m typing this early when it’s still Thanksgiving week in the US so some things I’ve got to project a guess about.
November has gone by swiftly for me. We got snow the first day of the month and it has visited four times since along with some ice. It sticks around a few days and then things warm a little so there has been no accumulation unlike the folks out East got. I had some packages to get off to Rational Creature blog tour winners, packages for a few family birthdays and one birthday party here for my nephew’s sweet sixteen. The shed project is nearly done and leaf duty is an ongoing battle. My trees are bare so I know I’m raking other people’s leaves. Oh well, good exercise. One neighbor still has her Halloween décor up and another already has Christmas going wild at her place. I’m aiming to put out my holiday decorations the day after Thanksgiving.
I’m going to be cutting it close to finish up my NaNoWriMo 50,000 words writing project, but I’m pleased with what I’ve got so far. I’m at 41,000 words as of November 19th.
The HoHoHoRAT holiday and winter readathon just wrapped up. Thank you to Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer and her elves for hosting a fun event. My goal was to read ten books and I hit eleven. Happily, I finished all the review books and a few off my dusty TBR pile that I wanted to get to.
I am still working on Michelle and Berls’ @ Because Reading’s Can You Read a Series in a Month challenge. I chose Ani Gonzalez’s Banshee Creek series because I needed three books to finish catching up. I have one more book left to go and I’m pretty sure I can do it.
Next month, I’ll be jumping into Winter COYER (Clean Off Your E-Reader) Challenge that goes from Dec 1st through to March. Right now the site is down so I can’t direct you there for the details, but I know Michelle and Berls’ @ Because Reading have good things planned with the challenge.
Now, before I chat my books for this month, I owe you all a TRUTH answer. Thank you for being good sports and giving it your best shot. For those who participated in my little Four Truths and a Lie game for this month’s Blog All About It, the lie was #1. I did not get into it with a protester at Golden Gate Park. That was my poor brother who got the brunt of a protester march when he was in the wrong place at the wrong time walking around the park before going to the SF Giants baseball game. He was wearing a t-shirt sporting one of the Air Force bases my mom worked at. For peace lovers, those folks sure had a funny way of demonstrating it. You’d think they caught him killing kittens rather than wearing a shirt with an airplane on it. Many shouted obscenities and other nasty stuff, one grabbed him by the shirt like they were planning to rip it off him and another shoved him back several feet before the police got there. My brother was angry, but he didn’t say anything provoking from start to finish (which is impressive because he has a snarky tongue when he gets mad).
The rest… are true of me. I should clarify that when I say ‘strung out’ I mean that as a short term situation while I was healing from a sports injury and we discovered I was rather sensitive to the meds prescribed. LOL The weapon in my face was when I was down in Monterrey, Mexico doing a building project with a group when Americans and other foreigners were told we needed to leave because it was too dangerous for us to be there during an unstable election period. They were right because we got stopped leaving one state, Nueva Leon and heading north into Tamaulipas.
Shari was right that the other two truths were camping adventures.
So, books! My November total is: 33 read
Reading Breakdown: 9 NetGalley (98%), 10 author/publisher requests, 10 audio, 1 KU, 2 borrows, 2 library, 9 TBR pile, 10 new to me authors, 9 new series
**Reading Challenge Updates:
Unconventional Bookworm’s New Release: 192/200 books
Delighted Reader’s Series that Never Ends: 12/13 books
Simply Angela’s Outlander: 1 of 2 books
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR: 114/150 books
Austenesque Lovers TBR: 66/75 books
Caffeinated Reader and Hot Listen’s Audio: 87/100 books
** If I completed a challenge to the top level then I removed it from the update list. I will do a full recap at the end of the year.
It’s that time of the year for Reading Challenge sign-ups so be watching for some that might tickle your fancy, particularly a bunch we host here at Delighted Reader
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [1 Nov] Minutes to Kill by Melinda Leigh ★★★★
- [2 Nov] Seconds to Live by Melinda Leigh ★★★★½
- [3 Nov] Bones Don't Lie by Melinda Leigh ★★★★★
- [4 Nov] Newness and Wonder by Alexis Lynne ★★★★
- [5 Nov] Never Let Me Fall by Abbie Roads ★★★★
- [6 Nov] Wolf Rising by Paige Tyler ★★★★½
- [7 Nov] Ache For You by J.T. Geissinger ★★★★
- [8 Nov] Out of Time by Kendall Talbot ★★★★★
- [8 Nov] Caid by Cara Bristol ★★★½
- [11 Nov] Gone Hunting by Cecy Robson ★★★★½
- [12 Nov] Settling the Score by R.S. Grey ★★★★½
- [13 Nov] My One and Only Duke by Grace Burrowes ★★★★
- [14 Nov] Witness in Death by J.D. Robb ★★★★½
- [17 Nov] Christmas With a Colorado Cowboy by Cindi Myers, Pamela Jane Larson, Marje Porter, Mary Ellen Blackwood, Christina Hovland, and D'Ann Lindun ★★★★
- [18 Nov] Rain of Ash by Gwen Mitchell ★★★★
- [19 Nov] What I've Done by Melinda Leigh ★★★★★
- [20 Nov] Cowboy Christmas Jubilee by Dylann Crush ★★★★
- [21 Nov] Mulberry Moon by Catherine Anderson ★★★
- [23 Nov] A Year of Extraordinary Moments by Bette Lee Crosby ★★★★½
- [25 Nov] Born of Illusion by Teri Brown ★★★★
- [25 Nov] Zero Flux by Carol Van Natta ★★★★
- [26 Nov] P.S. I Spook You by S.E. Harmon ★★★★
- [27 Nov] Going Overboard by L.A. Witt ★★★★
- [28 Nov] Rocky Mountain Cowboy Christmas by Katie Ruggle ★★★★
- [28 Nov] Cowboy Blue by Cat Johnson ★★★★
- [29 Nov] Cowboy Christmas Jubilee by Dylann Crush ★★★★½
- [29 Nov] Alaskan Holiday by Debbie Macomber ★★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Sign Up! The Great Pick Up Line 2019! - December 10, 2018
- BookTrib Giveaway, 20 Different Harlequin Romances - December 9, 2018
- Pre-order – What have we bought now? - December 7, 2018
- Spotlight: Havoc by Kindle Alexander - December 5, 2018
- Literary Pickers Reading Challenge Sign Up 2019 - December 5, 2018