2015 has been a unique year for Delighted Reader. Why? Well, we have slowed down on accepting blog tours. *Gasp* Yep, we have. Want to know why?
- Cover Reveals – you get a bunch of blogs together and have them all post a cover. No content beyond a blurb and a cover. Is it me or does this scream boring? I love a cover as much as the next reader, but it doesn’t make or break the book for me, so *yawn* I can do without them.
- Release Day Blitz – Another 50 blogs post the same thing without variety. Seen it once, you’ve seen enough. I am happy to help authors, but let’s make it original.
- Tours Without Content – You get a cover, blurb, and author info and they want you to promote it. Maybe a review, but not guaranteed. So you take time to format the post and get nothing in return. I doesn’t bring in viewers because you aren’t offering up anything new or that they can’t see on those other 50 blogs that have the same post.
- Blog Tour Companies Thinking They Are All That – There are so many rules on your posts you feel like you were locked away in prison. It has to be the top post. You have to share it 25 times on social media. It has to be up by 4 am. We will annoy you with emails reminding you. And it all has to go their way but you have to do all the formatting work. They get paid for this, I don’t. So I will help as much as possible, but I won’t turn my site over to them.
- Review Tours – Great tours, but we have been burned by never getting the book for review. Several times. Again, someone is getting paid to host this tour and it isn’t me. It makes us look bad when we can’t post a review even if it wasn’t our fault for never getting the materials.
- Not Getting Our Materials – I try to schedule a week to two weeks ahead and sometimes I have things months out. Waiting until two days before a post just doesn’t fly with me. I have a life and if I don’t plan ahead, it just doesn’t get done. Emergencies aren’t something I deal with well. So after getting put on the hot seat for materials the night before it goes live, you bet you are going to not be asked back to visit.
- Guest Posts That Are 2 Sentences – Yep, I have gotten several of those. That isn’t a post. *shakes head* I just can’t say what I really feel about this one.
Now I am not saying all blog tour companies are horrible, just a select few that have decided they own my site. It doesn’t work that way and so the story goes. I have pulled out of a lot of blog tour partnerships this year and we have slowed down on how many blog tours we accept. Have I seen my viewership go down? Slightly, but not a huge amount. This tells me that blog tours aren’t helping us a whole bunch. Interviews and guest bloggers are still welcome as we love getting to know authors.
Readers/Bloggers: What do you think about blog tours? Love ’em or Hate ’em?
Bloggers: Do you have blog tour policy?
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Rules for the Thriller Heroine (so as not to receive the Too Stupid to Live award) - January 23, 2019
- I Dare You Game of Clue Day 3 - January 23, 2019
- I Dare You Game of Clue Day 2 - January 22, 2019
- I Dare You Thriller Edition Kickoff! - January 21, 2019
- I Dare You Game of Clue Day 1 - January 21, 2019