Yakkety Yak…Let’s Chat About the Crap in the Back!
Welcome back to a new week of Yakkety Yak Let’s Chat. This week let’s chat about all the stuff at the end of the book, especially digital books.
While reading a book this week, I was thinking I had about half of it to read. Moseying along it abruptly ends at 66% and starts in on excerpts. 34% of excerpts? Yep, that’s a bunch of crap in the back of the book. Now don’t get me wrong, having one excerpt is ok. It usually only adds a percent or two. Even listing out the authors other books, series, bio, etc. Usually that only takes up a few percentages of the full reading time. But then there are the ones where you feel like you have an entire extra book in the back.
Do you read the excerpts at the end?
I will be the first to admit…I don’t read the excerpts in the end. Seriously, if I liked the author or book enough I will go find what I want to read and not worry about an excerpt there. Why read and excerpt when you can have the entire book just by buying it or pre-ordering it? My decision is made by the book I am usually currently reading, not the excerpt in the back. I do read them from time to time, but as a general rule, I find them a waste of time. You can’t really review excerpts.
Do you want the real percentage of what you read?
This also throws off my reading time estimates. At 66% I think I am going to need an hour or two to finish it up. Not putting the book down and looking around like I am lost as to what to do next. Ok, maybe the crap at the end isn’t that bad. It just shocks you when you think you have your morning planned out only to find the book is over…complete and you aren’t interested enough to go onto the excerpts for the next book.
Paperback vs. Digital?
When I used to read so many paperbacks, I would always go to the last page to see how many actual pages I had to read. That way I knew approximately where I was in relation to the end of the story. It isn’t quite as easy with digital books. Yeah, you can jump around, but it just isn’t as easy. So when they put the crap in the back on paperbacks, I can still factor in what is actually there for a story.
So let’s recap the crap in the back of a book:
1. Let’s keep it to one excerpt, please. Otherwise, it is just going to get ignored by me.
2. List out the current series or books the author has. This is ok. Just make sure it isn’t 40 pages worth of lists.
3. Give me their bio, I like knowing the author, but I don’t want an auto-biography.
4. But most of all, keep it to only 5% of the total reading time.
Yakkety Yak…Let’s Chat!
What do you think about the crap in the back?
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- I Dare You: Rules of Engagement with Paranormal Creatures - June 26, 2019
- Review: I Will Not Beg by Cherise Sinclair - June 25, 2019
- I Dare You: Shifted Sister - June 25, 2019
- Audiobook Review: Consumed by J.R. Ward - June 21, 2019
- Pre-order – A little chic fic to spice up my summer! - June 14, 2019