I am back! Sorry for the long break, but summer hit like a tornado in tornado alley around here.
So over the last week I finally started reading my first “serial”. Not a series like we know it, but small installments of a longer story arc that come out periodically over shorter periods of time. Well, let me tell you…I am NOT a fan of serials right off.
Why? Well here are some reasons right off…
- IMPATIENT! I guess it was good I waited and read the first five back to back, but I have to wait for the last three.
- PRICE! For heavens sake. Each installment has been around 55-70 pages that are $1.99 a piece. That is well over my $2.00 for 100 pages rule. Can you say this author is gauging my pocketbook?
- RUINS THE FLOW! The stories abruptly stop and then you wait a week or more for the next installment. By then I have forgotten what I read and even if I care to read any more.
- BAD IMPRESSION! Now I have a bad impression of the author, whom I adore and the publisher that I feel is gauging me.
- ADDICTION! Once you start, you don’t feel you can stop. It is like admitting you failed.
Ok, maybe some of those seems silly and kind of witchy, but that is how I felt as I was reading the serial. Mostly I was ticked off that I was spending money on books that were overpriced. In the end I will pay $16 for the entire series and get only about 400-450 pages. That comes out to $8-$9 that I would normally pay for a book that size. So double the price! So yeah, I am kind of sore about that sticking point.
So while I don’t read many serials, I have been totally burned by this situation and won’t be going into them any more. What do you think? Are serials worth the money and time? Is it a problem with you, or do you like having a story over time? Maybe you like to savor it? That’s not bad.
So let’s chat!