Ever experience the reading blues? That time when you try to read but nothing seems to satisfy. Sometimes it really is the book, but sometimes we get burned out too. Well, that is what I am experience, the reading blues. Nothing is grabbing me and I feel pressure to read faster, thus taking some of the joy out of reading. I don’t want to be a mindless person reading as fast as I can then spitting out a review so I can run onto the next book as fast as I can.
What can we do to purge this disease? Ok, well its not a disease, but it really is a problem I have a few times a year. Right now I have about 10 books started and I find myself juggling to finish one of them so I can move on. But which one?
So here are some steps I am going to go through on my vacation and see if I can purge this problem. Nip it in the butt.
- Starting one book and sticking to it no matter how slow or fast I read it. (with some caveats below)
- If by 25% I am just not interested in the book, stop reading. Maybe try it after you finish another book. By 50% decide if it really is worth continuing.
- Relax. Getting uptight over deadlines won’t make you enjoy reading the book any more.
- Pick a book outside of what you have normally been reading. Like me, I have been reading a lot of contemporaries. I think I need a paranormal, kick-ass book to spice up my reading.
- Find a quiet place to read. Watching a movie in the background distracts. Kids distract. Take the book to the bathroom with you. Hey, if guys can read on the toilet, why can we. Now don’t sit there forever, it isn’t the most comfortable place…take it to a hot bath instead.
- Only read what you really want too. Just say no to review books you just aren’t interested in just because you don’t want to hurt the authors feelings. It probably hurts them more to not finish it or even to give it a bad review. Just be polite and say you don’t have time. That’s always true in my case.
- If you have a huge pile but a favorite author, pick theirs first as a break from some you might just not be getting into.
- Last, but not least, don’t give up. Take a break for a day or two. Sometimes that’s all it takes.
So what are some of your hints on getting through the reading blues that drag you down? Oh, one more…vacation is also the way to loosen me up and make me ready to read again when the three kids are driving me nuts.
Share you tips…I need them!
Yakkety Yak, let’s chat!
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- To Be or Not to Be…Read TBR Pile Vote September 2017 - September 24, 2017
- Yakkety Yak- Déjà vu All Over Again - September 23, 2017
- Highland Dragon Warrior by Isabel Cooper Spotlight #Giveaway - September 15, 2017
- THE LAST OUTLAW Excerpt #Giveaway - September 14, 2017
- Interview with Elizabeth Silver and Jenny Urban #Giveaway - September 12, 2017