Yep! I’m going there in honor of the Halloween season. Like an AA Meeting member I stand before you confessing that I am a wussy, squeamish reader and not ashamed to own to it. I don’t do horror, oh nope nope nope. I consider the folks who do the brave types with strong intestinal fortitude.
But then I decided to take that leap of faith- I read a zombie book. Yep, I gakked, groaned, turned my head and prayed for strength a few times, but I read it- cover to cover.
What got me to do it was visiting Velvet’s vvb32 blog and seeing her annual Zombie blog event. This gal lovessssss her zombies. If she finds mention of them even in a non-zombie tale they get a shout out. But once a year, she devotes her posts to all things zombies. It made me eye the one zombie book I had on my shelf and gulp. Let’s just say, it got there because some well-meaning person knew I read Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance so they bought me a zombie romance for Christmas. Mmhmm, as Jamie Fraser would say.
So anyhoots, I decided to suck it up and give that bad boy a go. Velvet cheered me on by inviting me to share a few thoughts about my experience on her blog and I do mean a few thoughts. She has this cool review style she calls ‘Two Bits’ which I did (first mini-review folks, count it for the win), but naturally, I had to share my usual review with you, our regular peeps.
This got me to thinking. In truth, I’ve encountered zombies before only it was the really soft fluffy bunny ones on the spectrum. I thought, hey, why don’t I share a few of these with our readers, who like me, just want to dip the baby toe into the squicky zombie stories. Now I get that the squick factor is subjective so I’m calling anything I was able to read and finish, a light-weight and for the squeamish types.
So here it is, my list of Zombie Reads for the Squeamish Reader. Do enjoy!
- Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (had to include the one I just read, right?)
- Dearly Departed and it’s sequel by Lia Habel
- Jeanette Frost’s Night Huntress series (the ghouls count as zombies for me)Dead Sexy by Paige Tyler
- AR Von’s Wunder series
- Rebecca Zanetti’s Scorpius Syndrome series
- The Darwin Elevator by Jason Hough
- The Girl’s Guide to Dating Zombies by Lynn Messina
And just for kicks, here is the list of Zombie Reads that are on my wish list.
- Diana Rowland’s White Trash Zombie series
- Jesse Peterson’s Living With the Dead series
Got any more I can add? 😉
Where do you fall on the squeamish scale with zombie books and shows? If you like them, what are your favorites? Do tell!
Latest posts by Sophia Rose (see all)
- Review: Strength and Honor by R.M. Meluch - July 16, 2017
- Review: About a Dog by Jenn McKinlay - July 14, 2017
- Afternoon Delight Review: Still Into You by Roni Loren - July 13, 2017
- Review: Burn For Me by Ilona Andrews - July 13, 2017
- Afternoon Delight Review: A Ghoul’s Kiss by J.M. Stonebeck - July 12, 2017