Genres: Urban Fantasy
Published by NYLA
Released on December 8, 2015
A chance to get Derek’s point of view, a little side adventure for Derek and Julie, and a few tantalizing surprises about Julie? Oh yes, this was definitely a delicious little addition to the series.
Magic Stars is a tweeny novella in the Kate Daniels series. While its about side characters on a standalone adventure, there are some discussions and reveals that make it best read in order or at least after book eight.
As I said this is a novella so it goes quick. It’s a gritty case that Derek and Julie were assigned from two different people and they meet up to join forces. It was a good challenge for them and showcased Julie’s newfound power and strength. She is very much a snarky, arrogant teen who thinks she’s got it all under control even if she’s taking magic lessons from Roland no less and passing judgment on the choices Kate made. There is a new heightened tension between Derek and Julie that is left alone for now. My favorite part was getting Derek’s thoughts and more of his background. He’s always been a favorite character. Julie has some brat to her, but I’m willing to give her a chance to grow out of it.
Like all their novellas, this one is well-developed and makes the most of its short page count. Worth giving it a read if you get the chance.
Mt. TBR #52
Romance Roundabout #114
Latest posts by Sophia Rose (see all)
- Sweet Young Delight Review: The Garden of God by Henry De Vere Stacpoole - September 12, 2021
- Young Sweet Delight Review: The Blue Lagoon by Henry De Vere Stacpoole - September 5, 2021
- Review: Uncharted by Tracey Garvis Graves - September 3, 2021
- Review: Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh - September 2, 2021
- Review: Play of Passion by Nalini Singh - August 30, 2021