A new year means new (or renewed) goals and new reading challenges.
I chose to combine these two things because, for me, my choice of reading challenges mostly reflects my reading goals. I say mostly because some of the challenges were chosen simply for fun. I’m going to list some of my reading goals and then my challenge choices.
- Read a larger percentage of books from my own shelves. Ideally, this would be a 50/50 split, but I’m not quite there yet. And, remove books from shelves I don’t plan reading again or unread books I do not plan to ever read.
- Buy less and borrow more. Before purchase, check availability at the library and other resources like Prime or KU. Keep the book buying budget to nearly zero while there are unread books on my shelves.
- Take fewer review requested books so that I can easily read the ones I have in time to post review around release date. Get NetGalley percentage to 99%.
- Balance the completion of favorite author backlists with trying new to me authors and series. Also read more books written by foreign authors and/or in foreign settings. Read outside comfort zone a few times.
- Above all, read for fun and enrichment. Stop reading when its obvious a book isn’t a good match for my mood or my taste.
And, to go with those goals, here are the challenges I picked:
New Release Hosted by Linda and Brandee @ Unconventional Bookworms
Books released after January 1st, 2020 count.
My Goal: Enthusiast 101-200+ books
Library Love Hosted by Angel @ Angel’s Guilty Pleasures and Anne @ Books Are My Heart
Books borrowed from the public library count. Minimum of 12 for the year.
My Goal: Dewey Decimal 12-23 books
Austenesque Lovers TBR on GoodReads
Any book about Austen, by Austen or based on Austen’s novels
My Goal: Catherine Morland 50 books
Mt. TBR hosted by Bev @ My Reader’s Block on GoodReads
Books acquired before Jan 1st, 2020
My Goal: Mt. Everest 100 books
Reading Assignment Spring Semester hosted by Michelle and Berls @ Because Reading
January to April, 3 Categories with one book for each month.
Professor Author Luv- I chose Anna Lee Huber
Professor Genre- I chose Romantic Suspense/Mystery
Professor Mix Up- 4 books from a list made before the 1st
Professor Ann Thology- 4 anthologies
My Goal: Beginner Level 4 months x 4 books
Series that Never Ends hosted by Shari @ Delighted Reader
Books in a series where you have at least 5 books and novellas left to read.
My goal: Surviving the Book Tsunami 5-9 books from the Lady Darby series
Historical Fiction hosted by Amy @ Passages to the Past
Any sub-genre of historical fiction counts.
My Goal: Prehistoric- 50+ books
Literary Pickers hosted by Shari and Sophia @ Delighted Reader
Scavenger hunt-style matching a book to each word clue
My Goal: Professional Picker- 50+ books
Romanceopoly hosted by Fran, Suz, and Annie @ Under the Covers and Jess @ Peace Love Books
Based on Monopoly board game with streets representing specific genres and book prompts, timed reads, or Instagram picture prompts. Two boards to choose from or do both.
My Goal: The Native (all spaces on both boards) 40 books
Audio hosted by Loupe & Mel @ Hot Listens and Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer
Any book on audio
My Goal: 100 Club- 100 books
Books N Tunes hosted by Shari & Sophia @ Delighted Reader
Match a tune to a book
My Goal: Raging Rocker 50+ books
Romance BINGO hosted by Blodeuedd @ Book Girl of Mur-y Castell and Carole @ Carole Rae’s Random Ramblings
BINGO game with a book per each square with a specific prompt.
My Goal: Blackout 25 books
GoodReads Challenge: 375 books
I will be updating my challenge numbers each month as part of our The Monthly Report. I have shelves for each of these challenges over on GoodReads that reflect the books I’ve read for each challenge.
Did you make any book goals this year? Are you doing any of these challenges, too? Hosting or participating in other challenges? Do tell!
Latest posts by Sophia Rose (see all)
- Review: Psy by Cara Bristol - October 28, 2020
- Boo Cause Reading’s Spooktacular: Booked for Murder - October 28, 2020
- Tell Me Somthing Tuesday – How do you like to be scared? Horror or thriller? - October 27, 2020
- Review: Radical by Colleen Cowley - October 26, 2020
- To Read or Not to Read … Read! – October 2020 - October 25, 2020