Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
April turned into the month I wrote a lot of reviews as I was learning what it takes to write a book. The class is going well even if I haven’t written much. Mostly I am learning and this is helping me devise how I want to move forward. I do have a pen name. If I ever actually publish a book, we won’t be reviewing it here as I don’t want to give a conflict of interest nor do make reviewers feel like they have to give me a good review. So even if I do sell anything, you won’t know much about it.
This course though has forced me to analyze what makes a good story as I am trying to achieve the same thing. Elements need to be incorporated or the story won’t go anywhere. This also makes me analyze more deeply than I ever would. I do have a review journal I am using and sometimes I will write things in it that will never show up here.
The weather here too is causing me to want to be outside working in the yard. Swim lessons have started with swim team probably in my future if we keep going. What little reading I did was on reference books and writing books. Some are really good and some I am struggling to get through.
Just like a few months ago losing my review journal….I have lost my Kindle. I had it Easter weekend and haven’t seen it since. *smacks head* I should have put a tracker on it! So I might be in the market for a new one. It helps that it was 4 years old and Amazon doesn’t even make this brand of Kindles any more. Still searching!
Off onto the next month I go!
My Reading Breakdown: 2 NetGalleys (95%), 10 purchased books, 1 Audiobook, 13 read total, 15 reviews written.
The Series That Never Ends: 6/7 – 85%
Bad Boys of Romance: 9/25 – 36%
Literary Pickers: 18/50 – 36%
Books ‘N Tunes: 14/25 – 56%
Review Writing: 24/75 – 32%
Reading Challenge: 41/150 – 27%
Sophia Rose’s Update
We just celebrated Easter this past week and spring showed up about the same time. The daffodils, hyacinths, crocuses, and forsythia are showing their colors in our yard. Seedlings are still itty bitty, but holding their own and will wait a few more weeks to put in the ground. Spring cleaning started, but it’s a process.
Got a jury notice in the mail. This is my third time, but my first time getting Federal Court. This means a commute and being on call for a week. I’m not really keen on the possibility of multiple trips into the city, but the idea of being on a Grand Jury sounds pretty exciting stuff.
On the book front, I participated in two readathons this month.
For The Book Roast’s Magical OWLs Readathon (Harry Potter theme), I signed up for the Hogwarts Professor level which was seven books that match up with seven Hogwarts subjects prompts or I could just go for the gusto and read all twelve. I finished my 12th OWLs book yesterday. It was a fun readathon and I want to do her NEWT readathon in the summer.
For Under the Covers and Peace Love Books’ Romance-opolyathon Sprint, I had seven prompts to match for my reads and at the same time, the books had to match spaces on my Romance-opoly reading board. I could pick books that would combine prompts. I made my prompts with the first three books I read, but I was on a roll and ended up reading five for this weeklong RAT sprint.
Thank you to all the hosts. These were stellar fun!
April Reading Totals: 38 books
Reading Breakdown: 9 Net Galley (98%), 3 library, 1 Prime, 11 audio, 15 TBR, 11 author/publisher requests, 10 new to me authors, 9 new to me series, 4 series finales
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blog All About It: 5/12 prompts
Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile: 23/50 books
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR: 39/100 books
Unconventional Bookworm’s New Release: 63/100+ books
Delighted Reader’s Series That Never Ends: 4/11 books
Because Reading’s A Year in Anthologies: 3 of 4 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N’ Tunes: 25/50 books
Angela’s Guilty Pleasure’s Library Love: 13/23 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers: 95/100 books
Under the Covers and Peace Love Books’ Romance-opoly: 25/39 books
Because Reading’s Reading Assignment Spring: 12/15 books
Caffeinated Reviewer and Hot Listen’s Audio: 50/100 books
Addicted to Romance’s Oldie But a Goodie: 9/10 books
Books That Stood OUT:
The Perfect Dress by Carolyn Brown, WF-CR, Heartwarming, Friends and Family, Down Home Charm
Nuts by Alice Clayton, CR, Props to perfect level of humor, foodie, and romancing
Let There Be Light by AM Johnson, M/M NA- CR, The writing, the characters and situation, author love!!!
Saving the Mail Order Bride by Linda Broday, HR, brings the feels and love her western settings
Where Death Meets the Devil by LJ Hayward, M/M Thriller romance, adrenaline rush and spies!!!
How was your April? Do Tell!
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [1 Apr] Silent Threat by Dana Marton ★★½
- [2 Apr] I Want You Back by Lorelei James ★★★★½
- [3 Apr] Not a Hero by Cherise Sinclair ★★★★½
- [4 Apr] Consumed by J.R. Ward ★★★★
- [5 Apr] At the Mountain's Edge by Genevieve Graham ★★★★
- [6 Apr] Repeat by Kylie Scott ★★★★½
- [7 Apr] The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman ★★★★
- [8 Apr] The V Card by Lauren Blakely, Lili Valente ★★★★
- [9 Apr] Keepsake by Sarina Bowen ★★★★
- [10 Apr] Knotted by Pam Godwin ★★★★
- [11 Apr] Nuts by Alice Clayton ★★★★
- [12 Apr] True to the Highlander by Barbara Longley ★★★½
- [13 Apr] Buckled by Pam Godwin ★★★★★
- [14 Apr] Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop ★★★★
- [16 Apr] The Perfect Dress by Carolyn Brown ★★★★
- [17 Apr] Booted by Pam Godwin ★★★½
- [17 Apr] Alien Warrior by Sadie Carter ★★★
- [18 Apr] A Dirty Wedding Night by Jaine Diamond ★★★★
- [19 Apr] Slightly Scandalous by Mary Balogh ★★★½
- [19 Apr] Thick by Alexa Riley ★★
- [20 Apr] Where Death Meets the Devil by L.J. Hayward ★★★★½
- [21 Apr] Smoke and Key by Kelsey Sutton ★★★★
- [22 Apr] Dirty Like Seth by Jaine Diamond ★★★★½
- [23 Apr] Let There Be Light by A.M. Johnson ★★★★½
- [24 Apr] Dirty Like Us by Jaine Diamond ★★★★
- [25 Apr] Becoming Dragon by Eve Langlais ★★★★
- [26 Apr] Dirty Like Dylan by Jaine Diamond ★★★★
- [27 Apr] Lucky Town by Morgan Brice ★★★★
- [28 Apr] Colonization by Aubrie Dionne ★★★½
- [29 Apr] Lachlan by D.B. Reynolds ★★★★
- [30 Apr] Saving the Mail Order Bride by Linda Broday ★★★★½
- [30 Apr] Taken by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★
- [30 Apr] Taken by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review: Broken by Rebecca Zanetti - May 26, 2020
- SpotlightL The Royals of Aldonia with Nadine Millard - May 7, 2020
- The Book Report April 2020 - May 2, 2020
- Review: Consumed by Rebecca Zanetti - April 29, 2020
- Afternoon Delight: Tempted by Rebecca Zanetti - April 20, 2020