Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
August started off a new school year and this made me sad. I am probably one of the rare parents that actually didn’t want her kids to go back to school. So what did we do on the last free day? We filled up the whirlpool bath and did pedicures while dancing to the Macarana. We had lunch and went shopping for cactus. It was an odd day, but the kids loved every minute of us being wacky.
Sophia Rose took some much needed time off, so I got my review hat on and saddled up! I wrote 14 reviews this month! If you know me, I have been slacking on writing reviews and I say I am going to do better and never produce. With having a new office for my new job, I find I don’t have a huge amount of clients so I work on the blog more.
I am also a little unhappy about the blog design. I keep trying to make it better and patching it all together. So I said STOP! I signed up for a course on coding behind the scenes of a WordPress site. This one is pretty low level. Once I get done with that, I am going to take a deeper course. It’s a good thing my background is in IT. Hopefully I haven’t lost all my knowledge.
So a lot going on, but I can say I feel a little ahead on things. Hopefully this will keep going!
My Reading Breakdown: 1 NetGalleys (95%), 3 Free Books, 1 Kindle Unlimited, 6 purchased books, 11 read total, 14 reviews written.
The Series That Never Ends: 3/6 – 50%
Bad Boys of Romance: 19/25 – 76%
Literary Pickers: 34/50 – 68%
Books ‘N Tunes: 29/25 – 116% – DONE
Review Writing: 37/50 – 74%
Reading Challenge: 96/135 – 71%
Sophia Rose’s Update
Hope your summer’s been treating you well (or winter if you’re in the southern hemisphere). I’ve been back from Utah for a few weeks now. What’s the old saying…“Man plans and the gods laugh”? Well, we planned to do some camping and then visit with my family.
Two words: wild fires.
We started out camping up in Northern Nevada’s Ruby Mountains and a fire broke out from a lightning strike. Not to be daunted, we checked into camping in other locations that didn’t require a reservation. Fires were going in or around three of those. This left the available campgrounds within the region all full.
Change of plans.
We went on day trips to hike and picnic in day use areas in southern Idaho, western Wyoming, and northern Utah. All was well. I am pampered enough to enjoy sleeping in a cozy bed and having use of full facilities while still getting out to commune with nature.
On a serious note, my best wishes go out to those whose lives and property were/are most affected by the fires. My cousin and her family had to evacuate to get away from the big one in Northern California. My thanks goes to those in the firefighting community who courageously and sacrificially work the fires.
As to my August reading, I’ve read a total of 21 books.
Reading Breakdown: 5 Net Galleys (98%), 11 author/publisher requests, 5 TBR pile, 2 Kindle Unlimited, 9 audio, 12 new to me authors, 5 new to me series, 2 end of series
COYER Summer: 64/20+ books 2 left on the strict list
Simply Angela’s Outlander: 1 of 2 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Read All the Books: 13 Nalini Singh books left
My Reader Block’s Mt. TBR: 97/100 books
Austenesque Lovers: 49/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 37/50 books
Herding Cats Burning Soup’s Blog All About It: 9/12 topics
Caffeinated Reader and Hot Listen’s Audiobook: 58/50 COMPLETE Leveling Up
Angela’s Guilty Pleasure’s Library Love: 11/12 books
Under the Cover’s Romance Roundabout: 14/15 book categories
COYER (Clean-Off Your E-Reader) Summer will be finished by the time you read this. I had a great time with this one and will be pretty close to meeting all my goals for the main challenge and several mini-challenges and readathons within COYER that I tackled. This really is a fun challenge group and great way to make a dint in my dusty TBR pile.
What about you? Read any good ones this summer? Participate in any summer reading challenges? Do Tell!
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [1 Aug] Alien Intention by Cara Bristol ★★★★
- [2 Aug] Driven by K. Bromberg ★★★½
- [2 Aug] Fueled by K. Bromberg ★★★★
- [2 Aug] Crashed by K. Bromberg ★★★★
- [3 Aug] Eternal by Cecy Robson ★★★★
- [5 Aug] A Study in Charlotte by Brittney Cavallaro ★★★★
- [6 Aug] Shy Girls Write It Better by May Sage ★★
- [7 Aug] The Simple Wild by K.A. Tucker ★★★★★
- [8 Aug] Born of Darkness by Lara Adrian ★★★★½
- [9 Aug] Shadow's Bane by Karen Chance ★★★★
- [10 Aug] Aced by K. Bromberg ★★★½
- [13 Aug] It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time by Kylie Scott ★★★★
- [14 Aug] Blind Kiss by Renee Carlino ★★★★
- [16 Aug] The Restorer by Amanda Stevens ★★★★½
- [16 Aug] Lessons In Chasing the Wild Goose by Charlie Cochrane ★★★★
- [17 Aug] Across Eternity by Aris Whittier ★★½
- [20 Aug] Have My Baby by Taryn Quinn ★★★★
- [21 Aug] Master in Shining Armor by Sparrow Beckett ★★★★
- [22 Aug] Claim My Baby by Taryn Quinn ★★★½
- [23 Aug] Loaned by Annabel Joseph ★★★
- [24 Aug] Who's the Daddy by Taryn Quinn ★★★½
- [27 Aug] Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews ★★★★½
- [28 Aug] Through the Fire by Katie Ruggle ★★★★
- [29 Aug] Cowboy Cross My Heart by Donna Grant ★★★★
- [29 Aug] Dating Cary Grant by Emelle Gamble ★★★★
- [30 Aug] Rock F*ck Club by Michelle Mankin ★★½
- [31 Aug] Rock Revenge by Taryn Elliott, Cari Quinn ★★★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Spotlight, Excerpt, and Giveaway: Jackson by LaQuette - February 25, 2021
- The Book Report January 2021 - January 31, 2021
- Holiday Spotlight, Excerpt and Giveaway! Joy to the Wolves by Terry Spear - December 10, 2020
- The Book Report November 2020 - December 1, 2020
- Review: Tied by Carian Cole - October 22, 2020