Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews, and more!
August was a rush of heat, injuries, bad moments with mom, a dog bite, meeting a boyfriend, dentist, eye doctor, and back to school. Sitting here this morning making all kinds of appointments from orthodontists to haircuts. It’s that time of year to get it all taken care of.
My daughter finished her first week of college and they are still in session with no confirmed cases of COVID yet. They are taking this very seriously from online training before you could come to campus and then last week she had an in-person training. Last spring she signed up for 3 classes online and 2 classes in person. The two in-person classes are hybrid now. Like lecture is one day a week instead of two where the professor records the lecture and the in-person class is for them to review it and ask questions. Even that in-person is split into two days. Then her lab time is cut in half with half the class going for an hour and the other half the last hour. As of right now, she doesn’t have classes on Mondays or Fridays. Not sure how all this will play out next semester when she starts the nursing program.
My other two kids are in 5-days a week classes at an elementary and high school and so far masks are mandated except on the playground, lunchtime eating, and sitting in their seat in a class where the seats are not more than 3 feet apart side to side and 1 foot apart front to back. I figured two weeks before we had problems, but we made it two weeks with only 7% being out so far as in contact, but not diagnosed with COVID. I still think it is just a matter of time before two in a class get infected and they have to close down that class or five in a school and the school has to be shut down. With high school, two in a class could shut down the entire school as they don’t stay in one class all day. Just a matter of time.
My reading challenge numbers went up dramatically as I read a few book serial series. I really wish I hadn’t but I did. One gave me the first book free on Kindle Unlimited and then the rest were $2.99 for every 40-50 more pages. So I found one of her books serials completely Kindle Unlimited and each one counted as a book read. I started a third series, but only about every 3 books were available. I finally gave up on that one. Mostly these were very dark, but also very silly stories. Anyway, that’s what happened to jump my numbers.
Hopefully, September turns out to be quieter. I am so ready for fall and sweatshirts/sweaters. Yep, tired of the heat. So what are you looking forward to this fall?
My Reading Breakdown:
- Read: 45
- Reviewed: 7
- Kindle Unlimited: 40
- Purchased: 5
- Favorite Book Read: Kissing Books and My Best Friend’s Mardi Gras Wedding are tied for the best books I read this month.
- Addictive Series: Boys of the Bayou by Erin Nicholas
The Series That Never Ends: 14/7 DONE
- Bad Boys of Romance: 16/25
- Literary Pickers: 39/45
- Books ‘N Tunes: 26/30
- Review Writing: 43/100
Sophia Rose’s Update
The dog days of summer are upon us here in southeast Michigan and I welcome dark clouds to the west whenever they come bringing rain and cooler temps, briefly. My garden is loving the heat and humidity because it’s in full on production right now. We had our second staycation and enjoyed a nice drive into the countryside with a stop at an apple orchard for a sack of apples and a jug of cider and another day we took a picnic and walk at a park along Lake Erie that we had to ourselves because it is an out of the way place. The most gorgeous water lilies were in bloom (I took a picture, but wasn’t paying attention and snapped a picture of my chin because I had the lens reversed). We finished up the last of our grad parties and one 50th wedding anniversary. Whew, thirteen invitations this year and all found unique ways to make it work with the health regs.
As to book news, I signed up for Can You Read a Series in a Month hosted by Michelle and Berls at Because Reading. I have picked The Marilyns series by Katie Graykowski. It’s a trilogy so very doable to fit into my reading month. If you’re interested in seeing the deets or signing up, here’s the link: https://www.becausereading.com/can-you-read-a-series-in-a-month-september-2020-join-the-challenge-signup-seriesinamonth/
My reading totals for August stayed up and I’m thrilled. I’ve been working hard to both catch up on overdue review books and keep up with my own shelves, library reading, new releases and purchases. Audiobooks made all the difference. August Reading total: 32 books
READING BREAKDOWN: 11 Netgalley (98%), 11 author/publisher requests, 10 from my shelf, 3 DNF/Set aside, 15 audiobook, 9 first in series, 4 last in series/caught up on series, 8 new to me authors
Because Reading’s COYER Quarantine: 63/70 books
Unconventional Bookworm’s New Release: 122/200 books
Books of My Hearts and Angel’s Guilty Pleasure’s Library Love: 11/23 books
Austenesque Lovers TBR: 30/50 books
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR: 55/100 books
Because Reading’s Reading Assignment Summer Semester: 16/16 books COMPLETE
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers: 97/100 books
Under the Covers and Peace Love Books Romanceopoly: 70/78 books
Caffeinated Reviewer’s Audio: 70/100 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 34/50 books
Carole Rae’s Random Ramblings and Book Girl of Mur-y-Castel’s Romance BINGO: 23/35 books
Passages to the Past’s Historical Fiction: 82/100 books
I just wanted to take a quick moment to say ‘I wish you well’ to the educators, children, and parents as they head BACK TO SCHOOL and also ‘Thank you so much’ to the firefighters fighting those awful fires out in California along with the folks still plugging along on the front lines of police, fire, EMS, military, and hospitals. You’ve all been on my mind often and your efforts are appreciated so much.
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [3 Aug] Virgin River by Robyn Carr ★★★★½
- [3 Aug] Lady Doctor Wyre by Joely Sue Burkhart ★★★½
- [4 Aug] Want You to Want Me by Lorelei James ★★★★★
- [5 Aug] Slippery Creatures by KJ Charles ★★★★½
- [6 Aug] Marriage by Arrangement by Sophia Singh Sasson ★★★★½
- [7 Aug] Undercover Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams ★★★★
- [8 Aug] Long, Hot Texas Summer by Carolyn Brown ★★★★
- [9 Aug] The Barefoot Summer by Carolyn Brown ★★★★
- [10 Aug] Demon's Mercy by Rebecca Zanetti
- [12 Aug] Last Tang Standing by Lauren Ho ★★★★
- [13 Aug] A Winning Season by Rochelle Alers ★★★★
- [17 Aug] Say No More by Karen Rose ★★★★½
- [18 Aug] Disorderly Conduct by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★
- [19 Aug] Green Card by Elizabeth Adams ★★★★½
- [21 Aug] The Cowboy Says I Do by Dylann Crush ★★★½
- [22 Aug] Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs ★★★★★
- [23 Aug] The Deal by Elle Kennedy ★★★★½
- [24 Aug] Once in a Blue Moon by Sharon Sala ★★★★
- [25 Aug] The Silence by Kendra Elliot ★★★★½
- [26 Aug] Bayou Baby by Lexi Blake ★★★★
- [27 Aug] My Best Friend's Mardi Gras Wedding by Erin Nicholas ★★★★½
- [28 Aug] Highland Gladiator by Kathryn LeVeque ★★★★½
- [29 Aug] Sweet Home Louisiana by Erin Nicholas ★★★★
- [30 Aug] The Austen Playbook by Lucy Parker ★★★★
- [31 Aug] Beauty and the Bayou by Erin Nicholas ★★★★
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Spotlight, Excerpt, and Giveaway: Jackson by LaQuette - February 25, 2021
- The Book Report January 2021 - January 31, 2021
- Holiday Spotlight, Excerpt and Giveaway! Joy to the Wolves by Terry Spear - December 10, 2020
- The Book Report November 2020 - December 1, 2020
- Review: Tied by Carian Cole - October 22, 2020