Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
Sometimes January sets the tone for the year. Last year it started off destroying 2019. This January has had it’s ups and downs. Mostly I am hoping it isn’t a sign of another 2019.
The good: no snow storms and no one sick in January! Sometimes you have to look at the good and not the bad, right?
Reading was off to a slow start, but I finally buckled down and started reading and I am up to 13 books for January! Reviews written weren’t huge, but I hope to get that back up in February now that I have books to review!
How was your month?
Statistics: 13 Books Read, 11 purchased, 1 Kindle Unlimited, 1 NetGalley and 1 Audiobook
I haven’t ticked off a huge number on any challenge so I will save that update for February. Have fun reading!
Sophia Rose’s Update
Happy New Year and woohoo, we’re in the ‘20’s!
Did anyone else struggle with what to call that last decade or so? The teens? The naughts? Ugh… but now we’re the 20’s and that is so much easier.
I had a lovely holiday with family and friends. We had a Christmas potluck and White Elephant exchange for Christmas day at my in-law’s. What a crack up! My husband’s brother in law gave the most hilarious (and creepy) gift. He took an old Tinkerbell print and painted a bright red Joker smile on it and signed in the red ‘Joker was here’ (like from that first Michael Keaton Batman). Our college age niece opened it and it startled her badly- but she kept it for her dorm room to scare her roommate. LOL In the evening we Skyped with my family out west.
I did end up catching a cold a few weeks back and have been unable to shake the sinus infection that came with it. It has slowed me down, but I was only out of commission for a few days. I got the Christmas stuff down and put away in good time. A big winter storm had me out shoveling away last weekend and this week has been figuring out what has turned our tuxedo cat, Bailey into ‘Wyatt Urp-up’ as we’ve been calling him. Poor buddy must have picked weight loss as his New Year’s resolution, but I keep telling him this is not the route to take. Kidding, but yeah, his upset belly has me mystified since we aren’t doing anything different and he shows no other illness symptoms.
As to the book front, I’ve been in something of a slump (though it probably won’t seem like it when you see my reading totals). At first, I didn’t feel like reading when I had the cold, but that is still the case as I fight the infection and try to keep up with responsibilities. I fall asleep even through the most riveting read or just can’t concentrate. I’ve been prioritizing books for blog tour reads because I feel those are must-read commitments, but beyond that, haven’t been doing as well keeping up with my book stack- not that it has stopped me from acquiring more… I’m glad I just got in a batch of audiobooks for review because I do better when I listen and have chores to do. Hopefully, the reading funk will pass.
That said, here’s my reading total for January: 21 books
Book Breakdown: 7 Netgalley (97%), 4 author/publisher requests, 2 library, 5 TBR, 7 audio, 6 new to me authors, 5 new series
Because Reading’s COYER Winter Friends- 36/60 books
Unconventional Bookworm’s New Release- 7/100 books
Angel’s Guilty Pleasures and Books Are My Heart’s Library Love 2/23 books
Austenesque Lovers TBR- 3/50 books
My Reader Block’s Mt TBR- 12/100 books
Because Readings’ Reading Assignment Spring – 4/16 books
Delighted Reader’s Series That Never Ends – 1/11 books
Passages to the Past’s Historical Fiction- 9/50 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers- 18/100 books
Under the Covers and Peace Love Books’ Romanceopoly – 8/68 books
Caffeinated Reviewer and Hot Listen’s Audio – 7/100 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes – 4/50 books
Book Girl of Mur y Castell and Carole Rae’s Random Ramblings’ Romance BINGO- 10/25 books
How was your January so far? Doing all right on your reading and challenges? Staying healthy? Do tell!
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [1 Jan] The One For You by Roni Loren ★★★★½
- [2 Jan] Wild Country by Anne Bishop ★★★½
- [3 Jan] Risk It All by Katie Ruggle ★★★★
- [4 Jan] Lessons from a One Night Stand by Piper Rayne ★★★★
- [5 Jan] Advice From a Jilted Bride by Piper Rayne ★★★★
- [6 Jan] Defying the Relic Hunter by Gail Koger ★★★★
- [7 Jan] The Vanishing by Jayne Ann Krentz ★★★★½
- [8 Jan] Birth of a Baby Daddy by Piper Rayne ★★★★½
- [9 Jan] Special Gifts by Anne Stuart ★★★★
- [9 Jan] Operation Bailey Wedding by Piper Rayne ★★★★½
- [12 Jan] The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer ★★★★½
- [13 Jan] Justified by Jay Crownover ★★★★½
- [15 Jan] Falling For My Brother's Best Friend by Piper Rayne ★★★★½
- [16 Jan] Anyone But You by Brien Michaels ★★★★
- [17 Jan] Luke by Barbara Freethy ★★★½
- [19 Jan] Tweet Cute by Emma Lord ★★★★
- [26 Jan] Diamonds Are a Ghost's Best Friend by Danielle Garrett ★★★★
- [28 Jan] Whiteout by Adriana Anders ★★★★½
- [29 Jan] Blood Truth by J.R. Ward ★★★★
- [30 Jan] Deliverance by Jane Henry ★★★½
- [31 Jan] Cowboy Courage by Carolyn Brown ★★★½
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Spotlight, Excerpt, and Giveaway: Jackson by LaQuette - February 25, 2021
- The Book Report January 2021 - January 31, 2021
- Holiday Spotlight, Excerpt and Giveaway! Joy to the Wolves by Terry Spear - December 10, 2020
- The Book Report November 2020 - December 1, 2020
- Review: Tied by Carian Cole - October 22, 2020