Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
July has gone by both fast and slowly!
July 1 I had my surgery to repair my vertebra that was pushing on my spinal column causing nerve pain down my arms. It wasn’t a cake walk, but it wasn’t as bad as I made it out in my mind. I remember being wheeled into the operating room and oxygen being put on me. Then nothing until they started waking me 3 hours later. I was put on some hard pain killers, muscle relaxers and a steroid. I let myself be dependent for one week on these, but I can say that wasn’t like full around the clock taking them. For a few days I had a soar throat and had a hard time swallowing. The neck pain came and went. Now 30 days out, I am pretty much back to normal except for a few days when my neck pain just keeps me from doing much.
Reading, welllllll, I kind of fell behind. According to Goodreads I am 18 books behind on my goal. I spent most of my time trying to create planner stickers (hasn’t gone well), taking some writing and publishing classes (still going strong) and just trying to get organized to get back to work once the kids are back in school.
I took a class called HB90, or Heart Breathings 90 from Sarra Cannon. It is mostly geared towards writers, but in reality I started using it for other things as well. It helps you focus on what is most important to you, organize your quarter to accomplish that goal and more. I don’t want to give the class away, but if you are interested, see her videos on Kanban Boards – Google Heart Breathings Kanban Board – it’s what I am working on now!
I also am taking a Publish and Thrive class from Sarra. It’s really too soon for a lot of this to work of me, but I mostly wanted to know what it would take to publish independently…and man there is a lot to it. This week is module 4 and next is module 5, which is the end. She’s also 36 weeks pregnant, so we need to finish this up so she can go on maternity leave!
I also sign up for another class with Roni Loren that will be shorter. I am hoping to start writing my first book around August 19 – start, not finish, lol. If it turns out great, then I might try to publish. If not, then it is a stater book because I have to start writing somewhere.
I also signed up for Master Class and hope to start a few of the as I need research topics for a few of my characters.
I promise, I am getting back to reading. I picked up my Kindle and started on some of my NetGalley books I am behind on, so expect to start seeing some reviews coming!
To also get me back to reading, I have set up a challenge for myself to read at least one book by every author at Readers on the River 2019. I have until September 12 to do it. Check out my progress.
July – My Reading Breakdown: 2 Kindle Unlimited, 1 NetGalley, 1 Tour Book, 4 total read, 3 reviews written.
The Series That Never Ends: 6/7 – 85% – Dirty by Jaine Diamond
The Series That Never Ends: 2/5 – 40% – Dark Protectors by Rebecca Zanetti
Bad Boys of Romance: 15/30 – 50%
Literary Pickers: 32/50 – 58%
Books ‘N Tunes: 27/35 – 77%
Review Writing: 39/75 – 45%
Reading Challenge: 67/150 – 45%
Audiobook Challenge: 9/5 – 170% doneNew Release Challenge: 15/20 – 75%
Try Something New Challenge: 21/50 – 42%
Blogger Shame Challenge: 0/15 – 0%
Sophia Rose’s Update
Sophia is on vacation – as of the moment, I don’t have an update for her. See her in August to find out what’s up on her reading front!
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [1 Jul] Out of Luck by Kendall Talbot ★★★★
- [2 Jul] Home At Chestnut Creek by Laura Drake ★★★★
- [3 Jul] Someone to Honor by Mary Balogh ★★★★½
- [5 Jul] The Colonel by Beau North ★★★★★
- [7 Jul] A Merciful Promise by Kendra Elliot ★★★★
- [9 Jul] Trailer Park Heart by Rachel Higginson ★★★★
- [10 Jul] Hunted by the Cyborg by Cara Bristol ★★★★
- [11 Jul] Moonstuck by Dannika Dark ★★★★★
- [12 Jul] Bitter End by C.J. Carmichael ★★★★
- [13 Jul] Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair ★★★★½
- [15 Jul] Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh ★★★★
- [16 Jul] Simple Unforgettable by Mary Balogh ★★★½
- [17 Jul] My Two Husbands by Amanda Aksel ★★★½
- [18 Jul] Baby Daddy Wanted by Taryn Quinn ★★★★
- [19 Jul] Not Dead Yet by Jenn Burke ★★★½
- [22 Jul] Lies by Kylie Scott ★★★★★
- [26 Jul] His FBI Sub by Linzi Basset ★★
- [28 Jul] A Vision of Silver by Anne Bishop ★★★★
- [30 Jul] Cowboy Charming by Dylann Crush ★★★★
Latest posts by Shari (see all)
- Review: Cuffed by His Charm by Stacey Kennedy - September 16, 2019
- The Book Report August 2019 - September 12, 2019
- Interview with Kerrigan Byrne - September 10, 2019
- Review: When I Need You by Lorelei James - August 8, 2019
- Readers on the River Author Reading List – Challenge Update - August 4, 2019