Welcome to The Book Report where we run down everything that happened in the month and update you on challenges, giveaways, reviews and more!
April and May I didn’t give updates on. It wasn’t that I wasn’t reading as much as I had a lot going on in life and I wasn’t organized. The bad news is my mom fell and injured herself while having a delusion of playing tag with her grandkids, who weren’t there. A neighbor found her covered in blood and she was admitted to the hospital. She was alright, but she has dementia and can’t get around without a walker now. We pushed how long she could stay at home by herself along with the COVID restrictions. We are in the process of finding a good Dementia Assisted Living Facility for her to reside in. Some perspective. She thinks her husband is alive and he died 6 years ago. She thinks my phone number is his and calls him between 10-25 times a day. By calling him, I mean me. So I apologize for not being around more. I have things planned and I work on them when I have time. It’s the best I can do at the moment. Reading is my escape and I tend to do it at night when I can’t type or watch TV for fear of waking others. That seems to be the only thing I am good at in the middle of the night, lol.
June – My Reading Breakdown:
- 5 Kindle Unlimited
- 7 Purchased
- 1 ARC
- Favorite Book Read: Two books by the same authors – My Ex’s Baby and Play Dirty by Cari Quinn and Taryn Elliot who also write as Taryn Quinn
- Most Impactful Book Read: Healing the Wolf by Cherise Sinclair
- Silliest Book Read: Rancher Bear’s Baby – the name says it all
- Most Comedic Book Read: Disorderly Conduct by Rebecca Zanetti – more of a comedic mystery than romance and the author notes this before you read it!
- The Series That Never Ends:6/5 – Still reading on the Dark Protector’s Series
- Bad Boys of Romance: 7/35 – I need to find some bad boys!
- Literary Pickers: 19/45 – Time for some searching
- Books ‘N Tunes: 17/30 – Half way there!
- Review Writing: 24/100 – I need to catch up
- Reading Challenge: 82/150 – staying ahead!
- Audiobook Challenge: 0/5 – I don’t know if I will ever get going on this challenge.
Sophia Rose’s Update
For those that this was the longest, dreary month of their lives, I apologize for that not being the case with me. I blinked and June was gone. I know much happened in the world at large and much happened on the home front and, yet, it was a passing remark from my husband wondering whether he’d get next Friday off for 4th of July weekend that clued me in that June was nearly over. I can’t seem to plan ahead that far. Gah!
Though the virus rages, I did two semi-normal things this month beyond what I have to do to maintain. I took one of the cats to the vet (though, the procedure was definitely not normal- drive-up only) for a shot. He is a forgiving guy and didn’t hold the trip to the vet or the shot against me. I also got to go see my husband’s nephew play in a baseball tournament. We all sat properly separated in the bleachers and along the fence and the ballplayers didn’t mingle or slap hands at the end of the game. It was fun to watch a game.
The garage project of replacing rotting boards is nearly there. Two more new boards to paint and hammer into place (okay, I don’t hammer, I just hold in place- it’s the nearly blind gal using a heavy weapon that gets them all nervous).
Garden is nearly ready to produce good things. I had flowers and then I had little green maters and cukes all in one day it seemed. So far little Peter Cottontail has left my carrots alone (though he does love to twitch his ears and tease the cats that they can’t get to him. No sign of the peppers yet, but they always like to make a grand entrance.
Father’s Day we broke tradition and didn’t cookout. It was sweltering out and my husband had no desire to stand out there over a hot barbecue-r, even for grilled steak, so we ordered take out Chinese dishes and ate in the A/C. We also stopped by to visit his stepdad and called my dad long distance. Another good one that I can be thankful for all the great guys in my life.
On to books…
The good news is that I think my reading slump is gone. I’m probably never going to be caught up- mostly because I keep accepting nearly every ARC or sale waved under my nose-, but at least I won’t drop further and further behind. That said, I still struggle hard to read the books I put onto a list. I’m just going with whim.
June Reading Total: 32 books
Reading Breakdown: 7 NetGalley (98%), 11 author/publisher requests, 2 library, 10 TBR, 2 Prime free borrows, 9 audios, 12 new to me authors, 4 new to me series
Because Reading’s COYER Quarantine: 50/70 books
Unconventional Bookworm’s New Release: 80/100 books
Books Are My Heart and Angel’s Guilty Pleasure’s Library Love: 10/23 books
Austenesque Lovers TBR: 22/50 books
My Reader’s Block’s Mt. TBR: 50/100 books
Because Reading’s Reading Assignment Summer Semester: 7/16 books
Delighted Reader’s Series That Never Ends: 8/12 books
Because Reading’s Can You Read a Series in a Month: 3/3 Lady Darby Mysteries COMPLETED
Passages to the Past’s Historical Fiction: 66/100 books
Delighted Reader’s Literary Pickers: 92/100 books
Peace Love Books and Under the Cover’s Romanceopoly: 51/78 books from both boards
Caffeinated Book Reviewer’s Audio: 51/100 books
Delighted Reader’s Books N Tunes: 22/50 books
Carole Rae’s Random Ramblings and Book Girl of Mur-y-Castel’s Romance BINGO: 25/25 books COMPLETED so I’ve started over and have 12/25 books on the new BINGO board.
How’d your June go? Any summer reading recs? Are you getting any summer produce yet? Do tell!
This Month’s Reviews
Did you miss a review? No fear! Here’s what we wrote about.
- [11 Jun] All I Wanna Do Is You by Dylann Crush ★★★½
- [11 Jun] Blank Canvas by Mari Carr ★★★★
- [12 Jun] Faery Magic by Jo Beverley, Karen Harbaugh, Barbara Samuels, Mary Jo Putney ★★★½
- [14 Jun] Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ★★★★
- [15 Jun] Alpha Night by Nalini Singh ★★★★★
- [16 Jun] Until the End by Juno Rushdan ★★★★
- [17 Jun] His Forsaken Bride by Alice Coldbreath ★★★½
- [18 Jun] River Marked by Patricia Briggs ★★★★½
- [19 Jun] Provoked by Rebecca Zanetti
- [19 Jun] Twisted by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★
- [20 Jun] Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey by Abigail Wilson ★★★★
- [20 Jun] Arresting the Warlord by Gail Koger ★★★★
- [21 Jun] Penelope by Anya Wylde ★★★★
- [22 Jun] Shadowed by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★
- [23 Jun] Wolf Under Fire by Paige Tyler ★★★★
- [24 Jun] Marked by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★½
- [25 Jun] Butterfly Bayou by Lexi Blake ★★★½
- [26 Jun] The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick ★★★★½
- [27 Jun] Finding Tranquility by Laura Heffernan ★★★★
- [28 Jun] Protecting the Princess by Nadine Millard ★★★½
- [30 Jun] Healing of the Wolf by Cherise Sinclair ★★★★½